Chapter 5

So began the week of me living with the band 5 seconds of summer. I don't think I had ever been busier in my life. I was constantly making them meals and doing their laundry, which I didn't mind. Partly because I insisted it was my house and I should do everything. I didn't like the idea of people doing work in my house, I was happy enough to help them.

        It also kept me busy and helped me avoid talking to Luke, who seemed to always want to talk to me. I should feel flattered, someone like him, so eager to talk to me. But I couldn't risk it, I couldn't let myself slip and tell him the truth.

        One day I was folding the laundry in my room when Calum knocked on my door. "Hey, need some help?" He asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

        "No, I'm good." I smiled at him. Still, he came over to me and took some laundry out of the basket. He began to fold them next to me.

        "Do you mind us staying here?" He asked, folding a shirt.

        "Not really. Why would I?"

        "Aren't your parents worried about four boys in your house with you alone?" He grinned up at me. I tried to smile back.

        "Don't have parents." I said it in the friendliest way I could.

        "Oh." He paused for a minute. "I'm so sorry."

        "Not like that. They just aren't around." I said and he stayed quiet. "I'm 18; I can live on my own."

        He looked at me for a while and I gave him a smile that said 'Hey, I'll be alright'. He put the shirt down and gave me a hug. We finished folding the laundry and I took them downstairs to where the boys slept.

        I was placing the pants near their bags when Luke startled me. "Does it ever get awkward, folding our underwear?"

        I put everything down and turned to him. "Calum took care of that."

        I walked to the kitchen and he followed behind. "Look, we don't take anything you're doing for granted."

        "No problem." I said as I grabbed a cup but he turned me towards him.

        "I mean it. At this rate we should be paying you. Thank you for everything." He said. He was so close to me I could almost feel his breath on me. I think he realized that he was standing a bit too close and backed up, rubbing his head.

        I got juice from the fridge and poured it into the glass. I offered it to him but he denied.

        "So I was thinking we could go for dinner tonight? Give you a break from cooking." Luke said, putting his hands in his pockets.

        "Yeah sure." I agreed, delighted to go out. I suddenly remembered something and sighed.

        "What's wrong?" He asked.

        "I have to go over to Gracie's first." I finished my drink and put it in the sink.

        "What for?"

        "I'm helping her paint her room."

        "Ooh, what color?"

        "Wouldn't you like to know?" I laughed and he gave me a serious look. "Purple, jeez."

        He broke into a smile. "Alright. Have fun."

        I went up to my room and got my bag. As I walked out the door, I waved goodbye to Ashton and Michael. I noticed as I walked to Gracie's house, is that I passed by the purple flower bush and picked one. I twirled it round and round until I reached Gracie's house.