2. lots of staring

•┈••✦ ❤ ✦••┈•

•┈••✦ ❤ ✦••┈•

They arrived at the Kitchen and found a boy at the back ordering people around. He had cropped black curly hair and an extremely disappointed look on his face.

"I know you thought that you did a good job, but.. You absolutely did not, throw that away." He said to another boy, who shook his head and threw the unevenly chopped cucumber in the trash.

Nick helpfully cleared his throat which drew the boy's attention towards them. Siggy smiled, showing off his dimples.

"Nick! And of course, the famous Greenbean, hi!"

"Hi Siggy, this is Nova. Can we get some food?" 

Siggy held his hand out towards the girl, which she took. "Please, call me Frypan. This guy is literally the only shank who calls me that." 

He held up his hand to tell them he was going to be right back, and came back a moment later holding two plates of steaming hot beef and vegetables. The two thanked the boy and sat down at a bench which Nick led them to.

Nova ate the food so fast she thought she would throw up, but continued anyway. To say she was hungry was an understatement. Nick had also retrieved a glass of water for her which she took a big gulp out of, immediately feeling so much better. He didn't judge the way she shovelled the food in her mouth as if she had never eaten before. He understood, like Ben had said, they'd all been in her position before, feeling just as hungry.

It was getting late, and now everyone was lining up to get some of Frypan's food. Alby joined them at their table along with a boy she didn't recognise who had dirty blonde hair and a slight limp in his walk. He awkwardly greeted her, unsure of her. And then another boy sat down a few minutes later, directly opposite Nova.

He had short black hair and looked very athletic. She noticed that he was also examining her, while stuffing his face with food.

"Greenie's a girl, huh?"

Alby rolled his eyes, while Nick ignored the comment and introduced her to the two boys she hadn't met. She learnt that blondie's name was Newt and the other boy's name was Minho and he was The Keeper of the Runners. He runs the maze, like Ben, she realised.

"You wanna stare at me any more?" Nova asked after a few minutes of him doing so. She realised that she was the only girl, but the staring was getting old.

He swallowed his food, "yes actually, I do.'' He said, a smug look on his annoying face.

"Great. Enjoy the view because it's the last thing you're going to see before I rip out both your eyeballs and force feed you them for dessert."

"A bit dramatic, isn't she?" He said, turning to Newt beside him.

The boy just shrugged, a small smile at his lips. "Deserved. You need someone to put you in your place, Minho."