11. remembering the dead

•┈••✦ ❤ ✦••┈•

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

•┈••✦ ❤ ✦••┈•

She twisted the handle. A moment passed before water began trickling out. Nova let her hands fill with the liquid, then splashed the contents onto her face. The coldness of the water was welcome against the warmth of her skin. Repeating the motion until she could no longer feel the heat of her face, she turned the handle.

Nova shut her eyes, the vivid dream that had possibly been a memory flooding back to her.

Who was the boy she was talking to? She didn't recognise him, he wasn't a Glader. And time for what? Most importantly, why was she remembering things? This wasn't supposed to happen.

Nova knew at that moment that she couldn't tell a soul. If she truly discovered something from a memory, then she would tell them, but for now, why give them hope when it wasn't there?

And what about the events of the day before? So much had happened.

Nova had found Charlie injured. She helped him, but he still died. Toby was hurt during his Runner training. She had helped him and he would never walk normally again. Nick didn't have a plan so she figured one out. Minho tagged along, despite her protests. It worked until it didn't, and they ran after him. He was fast. At the Homestead, they hid and realised that the person who killed Charlie must be a Keeper since they slept in the Homestead.

Oh shit.

She had made eye contact with them in the woods. Minho's plan was to kiss her. She cringed at the thought. His lips on hers, the fact she hadn't pulled away-

"HEY, GET UR SHUCK ASS OUT OF THERE NOVA, I DON'T CARE THAT YOU'RE A GIRL." A voice rang out from outside the bathroom.

"I'VE BEEN IN HERE FOR A MINUTE, HOLD YOUR SHIT." She shouted back, her eyes flying open at the noise.

Nova sighed and dried her face.

She gave Gally the middle finger as she passed. When Nova got outside, the sun momentarily blinded her eyesight, causing her to bump into a certain Keeper of the Runners.

"Ow." He complained, rubbing his arm.

"Oh. It's you."

"Oh. It's you? Very rude of you, sunshine." He replied, eyeing her.

Nova crossed her arms, "What are you still doing here? Don't you have a job to do?"

"Nicolas called a gathering, starts in an hour." He watched her reaction, face prideful in knowing something that she didn't, "Got someone to replace my section of the Maze. No running for me."

A gathering? For Charlie, maybe? Nova frowned, "Where is he?"

"Follow me, sunshine."

"Weren't you going somewhere-"

Minho pulled her away from the Homestead by the arm, cutting her off. She quickly shook him off, remembering last night.

Nick was sitting on one of the picnic tables outside the Kitchen. Beside him were Billy (Keeper of the Baggers), Frypan, Winston and Alby. Nick was smiling, but it seemed more strained, more forced. Or had it always been like that and she'd just never noticed?