epilogue

•┈••✦ ❤ ✦••┈•

•┈••✦ ❤ ✦••┈•

Pain and deadness. Quiet and loud beeping. Thirst and humidity.

Nova was alive.

Blinking from the humming light, Nova took in her surroundings. She lay on a single bed, multiple needles poking into her skin attached to bags, a basin, a chair, and a desk next to the bed. The room felt hauntingly familiar.

Nova tried to sit up, overcome with curiosity. A sharp throbbing pain instantly filled her entire body. Nova automatically cried out in pain, overcome by the shock and intensity. It came from her abdomen. The beeping from her monitor sped up.

Suddenly people started rushing in, wearing royal blue scrubs and grave expressions. One of them was barking orders. Tension consumed the room.

Nova had never known pain so scorching. She couldn't stop a man from touching her arm, pulling it face up, and injecting something into it.

Once again the darkness enveloped her.

If she fought too hard to wake up, if the drugs ran low, then she felt the pain. Then she started panicking. Then her heart accelerated and THEY swooped in like predators catching their prey. Then her dosage was upped.

And the process repeated.

She was sick of it, every time she would remember that this had happened before, they would be there with the syringes.

However this time it was different. It could have been a few hours later, though probably more like days. Nova felt it from the moment she began peeling her eyes open. Mainly because a woman in scrubs stood over her, calling her name.

"Nova? Can you hear me? Nova, please raise your arm if you can hear me."

Nova squinted up at her, trying to remember where she was. This wasn't the Glade. A feeling of dread crept into her stomach.

"No...no...no. Who are you- where are my friends? Minho-" Nova whispered, her voice was strange, reverberating in her head, the dryness of her tongue clear in the coarse edge of her voice.

She felt like a child again, but she couldn't remember being one. She wanted to crawl into herself. "It's okay Nova, you're okay. You've just been asleep for a long time. You were very hurt you see, it's a miracle you survived."

The words didn't make sense so she didn't spend any time trying to make sense of them. She didn't want to. She wanted somewhere she knew. She wanted someone she knew.

Nova tried to move. Something stopped her. There were tubes in her wrists, in her arm. The woman pushed her back when she tried to rip them out, jumping up to press a button beside her bed. An alarm rang as thrashed her legs. When she tried to push the doctor off of her she felt one of the tubes rip, admitting surges of pain down her arm. Nova cried out in frustration.