DEAR YOU

You make that dance look so new
And I'm in awe
A face like you've never seen
I'm yours tonight

Dear you,

I can't stop thinking about the poem you wrote me, years back. I'm so in love with you. I think about your letters all the time. I keep at least one with me wherever I go. To remind me of when the time you did love me. Please, write me back. Just something to even let me know you're getting my letters.

Vinnie

I fold the letter and put it back in my purse. I can't count how many times I've read that letter. Over and over, I reread his words and it hurts me. I have to stop reading it but I can't. I'm in love with him too.

And the only thing that's stopping me is my sister. I am in love with my sisters boyfriend. It's ridiculous, I know. We started to pass letters occasionally to communicate when they started dating. She never even knew.

In my defense, she let love be her strong suit. She didn't know I knew him before she did. She didn't know the letter was for me because he never says my name. And he never talks to me when we see each other in person. I've known him for years and I've come to realize that the only way I can tell him I love him is in a letter.

I couldn't give him an ultimatum. I couldn't make him choose. I couldn't do that to him or my sister. So I chose to take the hard action and stop writing him. And it's killing me.

I look into my locker, seeing yet another black envelope. I grab it, shoving it into my purse to read later. I turn around and head towards the exit. School was finally over and my high school graduation was this weekend. I start my walk home that was less than five minutes since my school was down the street.

When I get home, I rush to open his letter. I close my bedroom door, locking it and sitting down on my bed. I unfold the one page and look at his scrawled handwriting. I begin to read, knowing that I will keep this one like the others and reread it over and over.

Dear you,

There's not a day where you don't cross my mind. I know it's wrong to fall in love with you. I belong to you. Not your sister, not anyone else. I've loved you since the beginning and I'm sorry I didn't choose you over her. If I choose her, I'm hurting you. And if I choose you, I'll hurt her.

But I don't love her like I love you. You take my breath away. I think of you and my heart warms-

I close the letter, shutting my eyes as tears start to fall. My heart aches because as long as she loves him, we can never be together. And he's the best boyfriend you can ever ask for. I take a breath, continuing to read.

Can you do something for me? Just remember the first time we met. At that football game three years ago. I came up to you and bought you popcorn. Then we made fun of the players and how they completely suck ass? We stuck to each other like glue after that, hanging out after school at my house or on the weekends. I know that you love me too. And I know for a fact that you can't stay away from me either. I know that you're reading this. And if you are, I'm so fucking proud of you. You graduated top of your class just like you said you would. You worked so hard to be valedictorian and now you can finally relax.

But now, here comes the hard part to this letter. I'm saying goodbye. It kills me to see us like this, fighting for nothing. I'm tired of hoping things will go right for us. I'm stuck in this relationship with your sister and I can't keep hoping that God will be on our side. My heart is hurting so much. I can't write anymore.