two pink lines

Your fingers shook as you picked up the small test on the counter. Two pink lines. Pregnant. You were pregnant. A rush of emotions flooded through your body as you stared at the test. On one hand, you and Steve had always wanted to have kids, and you knew that he would be the best dad in the world. And on the other hand, the world was a lot scarier than you'd ever imagined. The two of you had been through a lot, and it really hadn't been long since the last deadly and life-altering event in Hawkins. What if something happened again? What if Steve didn't come back next time?

Unsure how to feel, you clutched the test in your hand and sank to the ground, knees to your chest. And how were you going to tell Steve? You were almost positive he'd be happy, but what if he wasn't? Babies were definitely in the plans, but that was someday... you hadn't discussed babies in your current plans.

Just then, there was a knock on the bathroom door. Steve's muffled voice came from the other side, "Baby? Are you okay in there? It's been a while..."

You didn't answer, heart pounding in your chest, eyes flashing to the door. It would only be a matter of time until Steve would open the door.

After a few more moments of silence from you, he spoke up again, sounding a bit more concerned, "Is everything alright, sweetheart? Please answer me..."

Taking a shaky breath, you answered with an unconvincing, "I'm fine, Steve."

He knew you better than that, though, and could hear your voice waver. The knob on the door turned, "I'm coming in, okay? I'll cover my eyes if you want me to!"

This made you laugh a little as you lifted a hand to wipe under your eyes, "'Kay. You don't have to cover your eyes."

The door pushed open and Steve popped his head in, hands over his eyes still, "Are you sure? Won't look if you don't want me to."

"Steve, I'm fully clothed."

"Well, that's too bad," he huffed playfully, smiling at the sound of another giggle from you. Uncovering his eyes, he pushed the door open further so he could come in. His gaze dropped to you on the floor and he frowned slightly, gently pushing a socked foot across the linoleum into yours, "Whatchya doin' down there, sweetheart?"

You quickly averted your eyes from him, closing your hand tighter around the test and shoving your hand between your thighs. Shrugging, you mumbled, "Dunno."

"Okay," he replied, not wanting to press. Before you could say anything else, he dropped to the floor next to you. His thigh pressed to yours, arm closest to you wrapping around your shoulders. Fingertips tracing over your upper arm lightly, he leaned over to press a kiss to your temple.

Steve knew you'd talk when you were ready. Sometimes you just needed someone to sit with you for a bit. It took a moment, but you finally leaned into his side, head pressing into his shoulder. He'd sit with you forever, if that was all you needed.

After a few minutes of silence, you let out a soft sigh and shifted your posture. Hand still closed around the test, you looked up at your boyfriend, "Steve?"

"Mhm?" he hummed, gently smoothing a hand over your hairline.

Without saying anything else, you opened your hands, holding it out in his direction. Your hands were still shaking, so he cupped your hands in his, "What's this, babe?" Leaning in closer, he furrowed his eyebrows, "I can't tell what thi— oh." He cut himself off as he realized, the last word a breathy whisper.

"I'm pregnant."

Steve's wide eyes flashed up to yours as his fingers curled around your wrists carefully, stumbling over his words, "You... you're— Wow. We're having—"

You nodded, pulling your bottom lip between your teeth, slightly unsure of how to take his reaction, "A baby, yeah."

"Wow," he breathed out again, but this time a huge smile took over his face. And when his eyes met yours once more, you couldn't help but to smile, too. It was contagious.

"Yeah," you replied in the same breathless voice.

In seconds, Steve had practically tackled you to the ground; wrapping you up in a hug, hands cradling the back of your head so you didn't hit it on the hard floor. You laughed wildly, throwing your arms around him as he smothered your face in kisses, "We're really having a baby? You're gonna be a mom?"

"You're gonna be a dad," you affirmed, slipping your fingers into his hair gently, twisting a long strand around your finger, "Are... are you happy about it?"

Shifting his position so his knees were on either side of your hips, he shook his head in disbelief, "Holy shit. Baby, am I happy? Are you kidding me? I'm the happiest I've ever been." His fingertips scratched against your scalp gently, leaning down so the tip of his nose brushed yours, "Wait, was this... is this why you were crying? Are you not happy? Because we'll— we'll do whatever you want."

His response caused tears to well in your eyes again and you closed them tightly, shaking your head quickly, "No, no it's not— I am happy. Just... just really scared. I just started thinking about how the world is so much scarier than it seems, and I th-thought—" you choked back a sob, moving your hands to cover your face, "thought about if you ended up back in the upside down, and didn't come back, I-I couldn't—"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, sweetheart," he carefully pried your hands from your face, hands cupping your cheeks, and thumbs swiping out to dry your tears, "Hey, look at me, y/n." Your eyes flicked to his and you let out a ragged breath. "We're safe. I'm here. And I promise you, I'm not going anywhere. Even if... even if things came to that again, those kids don't need me. I'm just the babysitter. I have more important people to take care of now," his hand settled against your tummy gently, "Okay?"

"Okay," you whispered, nodding your head. You believed every word he said.

"Okay," he nodded firmly, pressing a kiss to the corner of your lips. "Take some deep breaths, yeah? You're breathing for two now." You wanted to tell him that you weren't sure that that was how it worked, but he took a deep breath in to get you to do the same, and then gently blew the cool air across your face, causing you to giggle.

After a few deep breaths, your breathing returned to normal, and Steve fell to your side, laying on his back. His arm slid underneath your head as you moved in closer. Reaching over with his other hand, Steve brushed his thumb across both cheeks gently to wipe away the last of your tears. With his lips pressed to your temple, he whispered, "I love you."

"I love you, too."

Staring up at the ceiling with a slightly dazed expression, a smile evident in his voice, he said, "We're having a baby. Our first little nugget."

"We're having a baby."

"And we're still laying on the bathroom floor," he all but giggled, turning his head to look at you, pretty brown eyes sparkling.

Your laugh echoed his as you also turned to look at him, "We most certainly are."