pretty girl

"Baby, stop moving," Steve whispers with a huff, though there's no malice in his voice, breath fanning across your face. His pinky is hooked underneath your chin carefully to keep your face in just the perfect position. The tips of his middle and ring finger press against your cheek as well, even though it could hardly count as pressing, when his touch is as delicate as ever.

He'd asked to do your makeup a few days ago, but right before you were going out to dinner. Not wanting to show up looking crazy, you told him no, but that he could do it later. You'd really thought that he would forget, but he absolutely did not, and somehow talked you into letting him do your makeup. So now, you were sitting atop the bathroom counter, with your boyfriend standing between your thighs as he attempted to do your makeup nicely.

"I'm not!" you whine, attempting to not move your face as you do so.

"You just did!" he replies, taking a step back from the counter, away from you, a hand on his hip. There's a frown on his own face, but you know it's a look of concentration, and not because he's upset with you.

Pressing your hands into the cool countertop behind you, you lean back into them, kicking a leg out to nudge Steve's leg with your foot, "Remind me again why you wanted to do my makeup?"

Steve blinks, focusing back on you as he lifts his shoulders into a shrug, "Just 'cause. You like doing your makeup, just wanted to try. 'Cause I love you."

Your heart swells in your chest, but you can't help but tease him a bit more, pursing your lips slightly, "Are you sure this isn't some kind of bet with Robin or something? It's okay if it is, just wanna know..."

"No! Swear it's not. She didn't think I could, but really, just want to try something you like to do, and—"

"Aha! So she did say something!"

"Are you even listening, dummy?" Steve asks, eyes rolling dramatically as he taps the side of your head with his fingertips lightly.

You giggle, trying to duck out of his reach when he goes to do it again. Moving quickly, you capture both of his wrists in your hands in an attempt to stop him, but he's stronger than you, and is able to break from your grasp. You're both giggling like crazy as Steve's warm palms press to your cheeks, tugging you forward until his forehead is pressed to yours. The tip of his nose nudges against yours gently, brushing back and forth a few times before he places a light kiss to your lips.

Steve pushes his thumbs over your cheeks in small circles as he pulls his lips from yours, "Gonna let me finish your makeup, pretty girl?"

"Okay," you breathe out, nodding slightly as your heart skips a beat in your chest at the nickname.

He kisses the tip of your nose one last time, and pulls back, rifling through your bag of makeup, "Soooo, what's next?"

"Well, I normally do eyeliner, but we can skip that. It's kind of hard."

"No!" Steve shakes his head firmly, "No, I wanna do it. I wanna try."

"Ohhhhhkay," you allow after a moment, picking up the things necessary and holding them out to him.

He takes them from your grasp carefully, opening the small pot of cream liner, dipping the brush into it. You can immediately tell that he's got way too much on the brush, but you don't say anything, and instead press your lips into a thin line. He's got his fingers on your face again to hold you still, tongue poking out of his lips in concentration, "So, I just... draw the line above your lashes?"

You can't help but laugh a little, nodding as you hook your ankles together behind his back to draw him in closer, "Yeah, I guess. Go for it, Stevie. It is hard, though. 'S taken me a lot of practice."

"Shut up, I've got this," Steve scoffs, though not meanly, as he rolls his eyes dramatically, "Close your eyes, baby."

Doing as he says, you reach out to grab the fabric of his shirt between your fingers, trying to steady yourself so you don't move. You don't want to make it any worse than it will already be. Immediately, from the second the brush touches your skin, you know it's going to be bad and you stop yourself from grimacing, letting him continue. It's quiet as he works, and you can imagine the look of concentration on his face; tongue poking out, eyebrows furrowed together, face only mere centimeters from yours.

After a moment, Steve mutters a soft, "shit," to himself, but you're close enough to hear it as well, and try your best not to giggle. One of the pads of his thumbs presses against the delicate skin under your eyes and wipes, clearly trying to fix a mistake. A few more minutes later, and he's announcing that he's done, "Uhhh, okay. I finished. But yeah... yeah that's trickier than I thought."

Your eyes blink open to find your boyfriend staring at you, eyes wide, his bottom lip pulled between his teeth. You reach up, cupping his jaw this time as you give him a reassuring smile, "I'm sure it's not too bad, baby."

"Maybe hold onto that sentiment until you see it for yourself..."

You give him a look but then turn around as best you can to look into the mirror behind you. Your hands fly to your mouth as you gasp, breaking down into a shocked laugh, "Steve! Stevie, baby, my love, honey. How... how?!"

The liner is caked onto your eyelids, way too thick, nearly taking up all of the space there. There are streaks of eyeliner smudged underneath and on the side of your face as well, clearly from when he'd tried to clean it up. And you always say the wings are supposed to be sisters, not twins, but these two wings... they're not even remotely related. Steve groans, though you can hear the smile, "I kept trying to fix it! But then it just added more and more, and it doesn't wipe away easily, and I—"

Turning back to face your boyfriend, you grab his shoulders, unable to stop yourself from laughing hysterically, "I told you it was hard!"

Steve's cheeks and ears are tinting pink, even though he's laughing with you, holding his hands up in surrender, "Okay, I admit it. You were right. But I'll try again tomorrow. I'll do better tomorrow."

Your arms slide around his neck, pulling him in closer for a hug as you reply, "Steve. I love you with my whole entire heart. But I'm not sure I want to let you do that again."

"Please let me! I'll get it eventually!"

And sure enough, when Steve shows up the next day, he's fully prepared to try again. It's not half as bad, but you're definitely not letting him near the eyeshadow anytime soon.