the sailor and the princess

Steve had been trying to ask you out for weeks. But every single time, somehow something got in the way. And by something, that meant one of his (usually younger) friends. First it was Lucas needing help practicing before basketball tryouts, and then Robin was having girl issues, and then Max needed a ride to work, and then— the list went on and on and on. And it was always just as he was about to ask you, too.

You were hanging out at scoops ahoy, your ice cream long gone as you chatted with Steve. You'd come to the mall to do some actual shopping, but once you realized that Steve would be working, you'd stopped by. And you hadn't left.

"You look really nice today," Steve smiled almost shyly at you, making your heart flutter in your chest.

"Oh!" you were surprised, "Uh, thank you, Steve. You look pretty cute yourself."

Steve's cheeks flushed a dark pink. He knew for a fact that the uniform he had to wear at scoops was pretty dorky, so he wasn't sure whether or not to believe you, but the butterflies going crazy in his stomach wanted it to be true. Your compliment gave him a bit of courage, so he decided to go for it, "Um, hey, y/n?"

"Yeah?" you asked, flashing him your blinding smile.

"Would you wan—" he was cut off as Robin appeared, a scowl on her face.

"Your break was over fifteen minutes ago, dingus! You know we get busy after lunchtime."

Steve tried to convey to her through his stare that he was finally doing it, finally asking you out, but Robin seemed to miss it, crossing her arms as she continued to glare at him.

"I think you should get going, Steve," you laughed, reaching out and bumping your hand into his, "Didn't mean to keep you that long."

"Yeah, if looks could kill," he grumbled, giving you an apologetic smile as he got up, dusting his pants off, "I'm coming, Robin. Don't get your panties in a bunch."

"Sorry, Robs!" you called, "My fault, didn't realize we'd been talking so long."

Robin's demeanor instantly changed and she gave you a bright smile and a wave, "No worries, y/n/n! See you soon!"

You let out a laugh — one that made Steve's heart skip a beat — and turned back to him, "Sorry about that, Stevie. I'll see you soon?"

"Yeah," he nodded much too quickly, "I'll see you soon."

But today was going to be the day. He was sure of it.

Before his shift at scoops, he'd called and asked you to meet him when his shift ended. Not one to say no to Steve, you agreed and ended up showing up fifteen minutes before he was done. His face lit up at the sight of you, giving you an excited wave before immediately starting to scoop some of your favorite ice cream.

"Hey, sailor!" you greeted him cheekily as you slid into one of the stools at the counter.

Steve rolled his eyes, though his stomach did somersaults, pushing the cup of ice cream across the counter to you, "For you. Not really fair that your outfit doesn't inspire any dorky names to call you."

"Thank you, Steve. I'm sure you could think of something, though. You're creative," you replied, taking a spoonful of ice cream.

Steve nodded, as if deep in thought, "You're right... princess."

Heat rushed to your face as you glanced down at your outfit, which was a pretty plain, normal dress. Pulling the spoon out of your mouth, you looked back up at Steve, who was giving you a huge grin, "I'm not sure this dress really counts, Steve. And that's hardly a dorky nickname."