9. Catharsis

The photos Tao had taken of the parade were just spectacular. Nick felt pretty daft for thinking earlier that it wouldn't be possible to capture the moment because each picture he looked at on Tao's camera brought the excitement back.

All seven friends were gathered in the boys' room while Lux was already asleep in the other. The hotel accommodations were pretty standard—each room offered two double beds, a desk, a floor-to-ceiling window, an en suite bathroom, and just enough room for a handful of teenagers to sit around and play games late at night.

Nick already forgot the name of the game they were up to now. Charlie had his phone up to his forehead and tried to guess the word or phrase on the screen using everyone else's clues. Judging by Tao's botched attempt at sounding Italian, the current category was 'accents'.

But Nick was much more interested in the Pride photos. Elle posing atop the drag queen float, a feather boa hanging off her like it was part of her body. Isaac high-fiving people on the sidewalk. Tara and Darcy sharing a kiss right in front of homophobic protesters. There was a story behind each of the photos. Fleeting moments that could've been easily forgotten if Tao hadn't been there to immortalize them. As Nick scrolled through the gallery, it was almost as if he had been there next to them the whole time.

He wasn't the only one sitting out the game. Isaac sat back on one of the beds and let the fluffy hotel pillows swallow him, perfectly content not playing the game and instead catching up on lost reading time with a thick hardcover book.

When Charlie's time was up, Tao said, "Okay, I don't get how you didn't guess the last one. It was obviously Australian."

"That's jokes," said Charlie. "Can you even find Australia on a map?"

Nick glanced up from the camera just in time to catch Tao's eye roll.

"Let's do another category," Tara suggested.

Charlie scrolled the app. "How about... foods?"

"That'll just make me hungry," said Tao.

"Me too," Elle agreed.

"I'm sure the hotel kitchen is still open," Darcy said with a suggestive tone that made even Nick and Isaac's ears perk up.

"Yeah, s'not even midnight yet," Charlie said.

Nick set the camera down on the nightstand gingerly and stood. "Why don't I go grab something? You lot can keep playing."

"Would you?"

"No problem," Nick said, already reaching for money in his bag. "Chip baskets?"

The group nodded collectively.

Nick made for the door, thankful for an opportunity to be useful and clear his mind alone.

A heavy book slammed shut.

"I'll go too," called Isaac, the first words he had spoken in half an hour.

Resisting the urge to furrow his brows, Nick turned the handle and opened the door for his surprise companion.

In the corridor, Nick made an effort to match Isaac's glacial pace. The boy seemed absorbed in every framed painting on the wall like he was in a museum. The silence between them was so great that Nick could hear the hum of the lights above. He scuffed the heel of his shoe against the patterned carpet just to make some noise.

About halfway to the elevator, Nick finally said, "Did you have fun today, then?"

"Oh, yeah, loads," Isaac replied right away. He moved on to the next painting. "I've got blisters and a sunburn, but I'd do it all again. I'm super glad I came."