10. Heat

Nick should've known Monday would be an interesting day at school when he woke up to an email from the headmaster declaring a surprise non-uniform day.

Sure, it was on account of the heatwave and the air conditioner units at the school breaking down again, but Nick was excited nonetheless to wear his rugby jersey and crested shorts to class.

On the drive to Truham, Nick's eyes glazed over as identical brick houses with terracotta roofs drifted past the car window. A vibration in his pocket brought him back to life. He and Charlie were in the midst of a flirty exchange they had almost every morning before school. Nick pulled out his phone and angled it away from his mum to read Charlie's text.

Charlie
you're wearing your rugby clothes to school right ?

Nick
Yep x

Charlie
:)
you look so fit in those shorts
I like seeing your legs

Nick
Aw
Your legs always drove me mad during practice

Charlie
lol just had war flashbacks from when I was on the rugby team
I'm wearing shorts too
maybe our legs can touch in form

Nick
And lunch :)

Charlie
I wish I was squeezing your big rugby thighs rn
and arms, can't forget those arms

Nick
I'd send you a pic but I'm in the car with my mum lol

Charlie
oof we'll finish this convo later

Nick
I can't wait to see you
It's been ages

Charlie
too long I agree
bus is almost at school, so I'll see ya soon x

Nick
Bye love x

His mum glanced over. "Is that Charlie you're texting?"

Nick flinched, slid his phone into his pocket, and gave a bashful shrug. "Maybe."

"Your smile gave it away," she said with a knowing look. "Seems you two are getting very close. This weekend must've been a big step."

Nick simply nodded and returned his gaze to the never-ending row of identical houses.

When he described the festival to her yesterday, he strung together a story of all the good bits and omitted the rest. There was no need to alarm her by telling her about the incident, especially the 'running away in an unfamiliar city by himself' part. For all she knew, the day went exactly as planned, and she had no reason to worry about him in the first place.

Maybe that was the story he should start to believe, too.

"At any rate, I'm happy for you. Be sure to tell Charlie he's welcome to dinner anytime this summer."

Nick was surprised at how quickly she embraced his boyfriend. Then again, it made sense with how charming Charlie was.

"Sure," he said, "he'll take any opportunity to see Nellie."

Nick examined his reflection overlaid on the car window. He tucked a few auburn strands behind his ears, licked the toothpaste from the corner of his mouth, and rubbed away the remaining sleep in his eyes. That little mark on his bottom lip would be healed in no time. Charlie didn't mind it, though. In fact, he said it made Nick look tough.

He had become much warier of his appearance ever since he and Charlie officially became boyfriends. Not that Charlie would ever disapprove of it or anything, but he just deserved the best of everything.