MADMAX

A new year begins, and Halloween is coming up, making me hate dressing up and attending lame parties. Still, there are free drinks, even though I would have to spend time with people who I could care less about in a year's time when I will be going off to college that I will have to save up for knowing that being poor as we are it is hard sometimes to get things that we need or want. Still, we live with what we have and learn to take things as it is. I wake up with sweat covering my body. A little jumpy, these nightmares all began when my brother, best friend and her boyfriend went against a monster with me included, for it constantly plagues my nightmares. It sometimes feels so real, like my scar is telling me that that thing is going to come back to finish the job which makes me gulp, combing my hands through my hair that is sweaty from the nightmare hating that I can't get that thing,, out of my head, I then touch my scar as I breathe in a while sitting up in bed. 

Someone knocks on my door, making me jump a little as I look at the door in fear, wondering who it is, "hey, Bec, are you getting up" Jonathan calls in for me to sigh in relief that it is just my twin brother. I pull the sheets off me and swing my legs out to touch the cool ground, which feels nice underfoot, "yeah I'm up; give me a minute", I call as I sigh, knowing that it is yet another day at school that I have to attend but there are so many people I hate there, at least my brother, best friend and her boyfriend keep it bearable for the time being until I can break free from Hawkins and fly away from here and the people. 

I have a shower quickly to dry my hair which has grown longer since last year. Then I change, running out of the bathroom to grab an Eggo on the way, "hi sweet muffin", Mom says as I kiss her on the cheek loving my little family that someday may grow because of Bob, "hi mom, and I'll see you later" I say as ruffle my little brother's hair happy that he is always nearby because what happened last year with him doesn't help with the nightmares. After all, it seems they want him back. I run from the house with me holding my shoes, bag and brush as Jonathan gets in the car for me to jump into the passenger seat. He starts the car, "You know you are getting later and later, Bec's", my twin says as I put my foot on the dashboard and tie up my shoelaces with an Eggo in my mouth. 

I take the said Eggo out of my mouth for me to know that the nightmares make it hard to sleep most of the time. Still, my running late is uncalled for, even for me, "yeah, I know, Johnny boy", I answer as I swap feet to do up the other one; I then run my brush through my hair and smile that I am fit to enter society well kinder. Finally, we arrive at school on time which is a relief, I suppose, which has me jumping out of the car and sitting on the bonnet as I am sketching in my sketchbook the masterpiece of Will and his friends in their D&D armour with Jonathan walking off to do who knows what may be his photos it seems. 

Steve's car is right next to ours, so I ignore them; they are my best friends, and I love them to pieces, but I would rather not be a third wheel with them most of the time. It's disgusting. I heard the rev of a car for me to look up as Steve and Nance got out of the car for me to tilt my head for my long dark brown hair to move to the side as a blue Camaro came into the parking lot for me to bite my lip lightly loving the car it's so flashy, and it would be fast. The car parks and the engine is shut off as the driver-side door opens with a guy stepping out. I watch him in wonder as he rocks a mullet and double denim for my heart to quicken. 

He is hot to look at, and I have never thought that about someone other than Steve, but Nance takes him; I wonder if the new guy is nice or if he is a total dick with power. A red-haired girl then exited the passenger side for me to smile. She seems to be the same age as Will, she is carrying a skateboard, but before I can think of anything else about her, she skates away for me to look back at the guy, who throws his cigarette away and begins to walk down the hill for me to notice, Carol, Tina and Nicole staring after him with mouths open, okay I know that this is going to be interesting with that guy being here and all the girls chasing him. I turn back to my sketchbook for Nance to come around, smiling at me as I jump off the bonnet, shove it in my bag, and swing it over my shoulder.