Chapter 18.5 Fork in the Road

With indecision still plaguing his fragile heart, Shadow raced back to the hospital. He found Maria there, weak and frail. She could barely so much as lift her hand to greet Shadow, but she still had the strength to give him a warm smile.

"You're half a day late," she said in a joking voice. "I guess my dear sister won our bet."

Shadow blinked in surprise. Dear sister? Like, the dead dear sister? Dead people can't talk, can they? Maria couldn't possibly be going delusional already, could she?

Clearly, Maria could read his expression, and she laughed heartily. Shaking her head slightly, she explained herself. "There are a lot of things twins can do that transcends physical reality. Our minds and souls are still connected. She explained to me what happened on your journey," Maria clarified calmly. She knew it didn't matter if Shadow believed her or not. It didn't change the truth. "You're remembering her, aren't you?"

Shuddering to himself, Shadow suddenly found himself believing in ghosts. He also cursed himself for talking trash about (Y/N) while she was listening to them in the very same room.

"Maybe it's because I'm so close to death that we can communicate so clearly. My soul must be quite loose...," Maria guessed quietly to herself. She never lost her smile, despite the fact that death was looming over her, potentially mere inches away.

Shadow shushed her firmly. "Don't talk like that. I'm not giving up on you yet. There has to be a way to save both of you!"

"Both?" Maria asked curiously. Her eyes suddenly glimmered with hope. "You... want to save (Y/N)?" It was as if all of her dreams were coming true right before her eyes. She could see the flower shop with the three of you standing outside. The pink and red roses would grow in firm stalks. Their lengthy life will go to an earthly couple who will breathe in their scent and smile. That's what she wanted to see: smiles. (Y/N) and Shadow had to be there, too. They can only be at their happiest if they're together.

But then the dream ended, and Maria woke up. Reality crushed her dreams yet again. She realized why Shadow was anxiously pacing the room with tears welling up in his eyes. He couldn't think of a solution. There wasn't a way to right the wrong. It seemed the universe couldn't exist without one of the twins being forced to sleep in a six-foot grave. Her hope turned to dread.

"Shadow, please don't force yourself to choose...," Maria begged in a low voice. She could see the panic burning in his gaze.

Shadow refused to accept the consequences of either action. To save Maria would make the most sense. To save (Y/N) would please Maria the most. It would return the timeline to how it was before. But there just had to be a way to save both of them...!

"Shadow," Maria said softly to try and snap him out of his panic. "Shadow, stop! You're just hurting yourself!"

He could hardly hear her over the noise buzzing in his head. (Y/N) or Maria? Maria or (Y/N)? Could he save both?? The chaos emeralds were frustratingly silent. No one made any wishes in the last timeline for him to have a perfect answer. Dammit.

"SHADOW!!" Maria screamed and threw her pillow onto his face. It was enough to break him out of the destructive spiral he was falling into.

Shadow felt his nerves explode with worry. He could barely form words as he tossed the pillow onto the floor and looked back at Maria. "I... don't know... how to save everyone...!"

"Then don't!!" she yelled. The conviction in her voice was enough to ground him in reality for a moment. Maria explained herself before he could protest or get worked up into another frenzy. "Listen, you can't always save everyone! I know that I couldn't save (Y/N) on the Ark, and I know she knew she couldn't save both of us either. She told me that as long as it's up to us, we'll never be satisfied with the result. But maybe... if you choose, then all of us can finally be at peace with the final decision! I don't care if you choose my sister. She won't care if you choose me. We don't expect you to save both of us, and you shouldn't either. All we need is for you to be happy, Shadow."

Ears twitching, eyes glazed, Shadow felt as if he had been punched in the gut. No. This is not what he wanted to hear from her. She was supposed to tell him he'd think of something. She was supposed to give him ideas. Everything was supposed to be fine as soon as he saw her again. Why wasn't it fine?? Why was she telling him to give up?! He opened his mouth to speak and then... nothing came out. There was nothing he could say to change anything.

Maria listened to the air for a moment. Shadow figured she was listening to (Y/N). "(Y/N) is worried about you... We know it's not fair for you. And... we're very sorry. There really... isn't anything else we can do. I know you want me to make things all better for you like I always have for you in the past. But I can't do that. You need to help yourself now. Please... just choose, Shadow."

"But I can't just–!"

"JUST CHOOSE, SHADOW!"

The words stung his heart. How could he possibly make such a horrible choice and live with himself afterward? Maria and (Y/N) didn't understand what they were saying. No matter which route he decided to take, there would always be sadness, heartbreak, and regret.

It couldn't possibly be any worse. The time has come to choose one or the other. Will you have the courage to decide? Will you be selfless and let Maria live? Or will you take back your sacrifice to join Shadow?

Maria has already decided, but Shadow is conflicted. Your decision will be what decides the fate of this story. Shadow cannot move forward without your approval. He cannot be happy unless he knows he's doing what makes you and Maria happy. It is time to decide. Time to finally put this conflict to rest.

Who will you save?

Maria

Yourself