Chapter 2 Called In Sick

All throughout the night, your mind was haunted by the men in black uniforms. They flocked past you to escort everyone away and they shot anyone who resisted. Your first instinct was to flee, but someone grabbed onto your shoulder and dragged you back. Maria's blue eyes wildly burned into your skin as she clenched your arm in fear.

"Please... Sister, save me!" she cried.

Before you could reply, a gunshot rang through the air and Maria's blue eyes went dull, but the fear was still bright in them. "R-Run..." she choked out before she too was dead on the ground.

Your head spun with confusion and anguish. The man saw you and held up his gun at you, but you refused to let him shoot you too. You ran for your life down the hallway. There was no escape anywhere.

I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Maria, I meant to save you! I really did! But why did you-?!

Hot tears ran down your face and you stopped in the middle of the hallway unable to continue forward. 'This is it.' is what you thought. The three words screamed in your ears and you boldly faced the man lifting the gun from its holster to meet you. Just as you heard the loud 'POW!' from the gun, someone jerked you back to reality.

"(Y/N)! Wake up!" a voice shouted at you.

Blinking awake, you sighed with relief at the fact it was only a dream. Pain filled your senses as you realized you were back in the hotel room. Sweat dripped from your forehead and every inch of your body was searing hot. What was this sensation? Was this an Earth thing? You felt terrible.

Shadow was standing at your bedside. He was tightly gripping your hand to the point that it really hurt. The dark hedgehog exhaled as if he were holding his breath for a long time. Slowly, he released your hand from his grasp.

There was a long pause as the two of you just stared at each other awkwardly. Unmoving. You tried to figure out how he could have possibly found his way back on his own. How long was Shadow there? Were you stuck in that nightmare the entire time? Before you could open your mouth to ask, Shadow turned away tired of the awkward staring contest. He didn't speak. Like always.

"Shadow...? When did you get back? What happened?" you asked groggily.

Shadow sat on the opposite bed. It looked as if someone were there before. You realized he was probably there for a while and just didn't wake you up to tell you he was back. What was he doing the entire time then? Shadow didn't need sleep! Or at least... you didn't think he did... It was hard not to imagine him sprawled out on the bed in the middle of the night staring out the window thinking thoughts of his beloved Maria. Somehow that image of Shadow didn't seem to match the one you were now seeing.

Rather than getting an answer to your question, he hopped up and went over to the mini kitchen which was just a few feet away. You only then noticed the scent of syrup wafting to your bedside. It was the most heavenly scent you had ever smelled. "What is that amazing smell?! Whatever it is, I want it!" you chirped.

Shadow came back with french toast and orange juice. It was unlike anything you'd ever seen because normally, you wouldn't get breakfast on the Ark. Maria had told you once of such a thing and that they were like pancakes. You did have orange juice once and it wasn't like water which you would normally have. Did Earth have enough resources to spare to let everyone have such delicious food?

"This is yours," Shadow said as he handed the two over. You blinked. Did he just do something nice?

"But what about you?" you asked tilting your head to the side at his sudden action. When he didn't reply, you shrugged and took a small lick of the syrup. Your stomach kicked to life at the sweet, sugary substance. "It's so good! How did you know about this?!"