Chapter 155: Leaving the Flame Palace

Nie Mingjue ate the offered fruit and slowly sipped water in silence. Wen Qing wordlessly offered a bit more. This time Nie Mingjue didn't insist she prove it wasn't poisoned. At least he was becoming a bit more agreeable. Lack of food and water wreaked havoc on both body and mind. She couldn't exactly fault him for being temperamental and a bit nonsensical when he was suffering from a lack of both.

It was tempting to give him something more substantial, but Wen Qing resisted. It had been a while since Nie Mingjue ate. His body might need to be eased back into normal meals. Not to mention she was now certain that she was seeing the effects of dehydration. Dry or salty foods would only increase his body's need for water. Since he was already dehydrated, it was better to start with food that was already water rich.

"You said Zewu-jun asked you to break me out?" Nie Mingjue asked. Wen Qing considered ignoring the attempt at conversation. Silence was better, it couldn't be overheard. On the other hand, Nie Mingjue was actually speaking in a low voice and his tone wasn't even all that accusatory anymore. There also were not many chances to explain herself to a sect leader from one of the great sects.

"He asked me if it was possible. I'm pretty sure writing the words, 'Please break Chifeng-zun out of Nightless City,' is entirely too demanding for him to be able to write without convulsing." Wen Qing commented wryly. Nie Mingjue snorted a laugh and choked on his water. Wen Qing did not completely suppress an amused smile.

"No, I don't think Xichen could ever bring himself to say something like that." Nie Mingjue managed roughly after a few sips of water to soothe his throat. "I'm surprised he even inquired if it was possible." Nie Mingjue said quietly. Wen Qing sighed.

"You're his friend. I'm pretty sure you're his best friend actually. People go beyond their comfort zones for the people they care about." Wen Qing said quietly. Nie Mingjue narrowed his eyes at Wen Qing.

"Is that why you're breaking me out?" Nie Mingjue inquired.

"Yes." Wen Qing said without hesitation. Nie Mingjue squinted at her, skepticism clear on his face. Wen Qing considered leaving it there, but this was a chance to explain. She could not pass up the opportunity to explain her family's situation.

"You know I'm not actually Wen Rouhan's niece right?" Wen Qing asked. "We're like... twelfth cousins or some such number. I'm from a branch family in Dafan that has exclusively practiced healing arts for generations. We're nobodies, except that I am a very good healer. The best in the QishanWen sect, and that is not an exaggeration." Wen Qing glanced towards Nie Mingjue.

"So why are you in Nightless City?" Nie Mingjue asked roughly.

"You've met Wen Rouhan." Wen Qing stated flatly. "He's a vindictive bastard." Wen Qing said with feeling.

"That isn't new." Nie Mingjue snorted.

"It's not." Wen Qing agreed. "It isn't just other sects that he is cruel and controlling with. It's everyone. I'm forced to be in Nightless City, because if I refused he'd hurt my didi. Once the war started he sent cultivators to Dafan to make sure my family continued to provide medical supplies and to be able to threaten their safety if I was not cooperative." Wen Qing explained.

"That's where I am planning to get you to." Wen Qing said looking over at Nie Mingjue.

"You wish to break me out of Nightless City only to move me to another area controlled by Wen Rouhan?" Nie Mingjue questioned.

"You think I can sneak you past the front lines? I sure don't." Wen Qing replied, raising an eyebrow at the man next to her. Nie Mingjue frowned at her.