❥ 𝘰𝘯𝘦

┗━━━━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━━━━┛

FLASHBACK
(TW)

Fire.. So much fire.

Cleo couldn't understand what was happening, only that her father had left her beaten on the ground and now it's flaming ahead. He had tried to drive away after ruthlessly punishing his daughter for dropping his beer bottle while it was still half-full. Storming out to buy more, he had crashed his car into a the dumpsters ahead, a weird coincidence considering that Cleo had a dream of her father passing in a fire not even 3 hours before, which had scared her enough as is.

She was left alone. All she could do was sit at the window and watch her father's agonizing screams, not knowing what to do. Her first thought after the flames had died was to grab a backpack of things and run off into the woods.

She set up a small, old, camping tent in the middle of the woods to hide from the rest of the world, only living with the comfort of being entirely closed of and alone, making her feel safe in her skin for once.

*time skip*

It had been a few month of living off stolen snacks and public fountains until a teenage girl and a toddler were going on a walk through the woods.

"Nancy?" the little girl says pointing at the tent that you were sleeping in.

"A tent? Do you think we could take it home for you? It looks big enough for you." The older one whos name was 'Nancy' had whispered, crouching down to match the little girl's height.

The little girl was excited to have a play-house for her and her toys. The younger girl waddled over to the tent and opened it up to find Cleo peacefully sleeping in the tent. The little girl had let out a gasp and hinted for her older sister to come over and take a look.

"Someones..living here?" Nancy quietly asked.

Nancy nudged the girl until she awoke, shivering from the autumn weather but still comforted by a thin blanket.

"Do you have a home?" Cleo rubbed her eyes, confused of who these new people were.

"A..home?" Cleo managed to spit out. "Not anymore."

Nancy's eyes filled with empathy for the young girl and immediately ran to the nearest payphone to call her mother to ask if they could have a guest over.

Cleo grathered the necessary things she needed while Nancy and the little girl 'Holly' picked up a few other things of hers. When they made it back home, their father was asleep on a large chair and their mother was in the kitchen. A young boy was in the kitchen working on something for school. When he saw you his face only showed of confusion, embarrasment, and disgust. Cleo could tell and quickly hid behind Nancy, causing the boy to look back at whatever he was doing beforehand.

"Who do we have here?" Nancy's mother said, stopping her task and walking over to the three girls.

Nancy started to introduce her when she realized she didn't know her name.

"Cleo." she explained, just above a whisper.

"Well hello there Cleo! I'm Mrs. Wheeler, you may stay for as long as you'd like."

Mrs. Wheeler walked back over to the kitchen and began talking to the boy again, who Cleo later found out was named Mike.

Eventually, Cleo was legally adopted by the Wheelers.

End of Flashback
----------------------୨୧----------------------
*present day*
Cleo's POV

I woke up from a nightmare about the first day of school. People are going to tease me for being quiet and alone, I can already tell that Mike and his friends are going to do the same. I left early for school on my bike. I couldn't stand to see the hatred on Mike's face whenever he looked at me. It was almost like he thought I would want to replace him, or steal his position somehow, which is a load of bull.

Being one of the first to school, I glance at my schedule and stumble into my first class. I'm no where near excited that I'll have to deal with Mike in his classes all day. It's confusing being put in school a month after it already started, so I'm already an outcast. I sit in the corner of the class, hoping nobody talks to me, or even sits near me which is preferable. Not very a social person, I only ever talk to Nancy and occasionally my mother.

Mike and his friends are crammed together talking about whatever middle school boys talk about in the mid 80's, most likely Dungeons and Dragons since Mike won't shut up about that game and their '10 hour campaign' to mom. I can overhear them screaming from the basement when i'm watching tv or up in my room, which annoys the shit out of me considering it goes on all day. Enough about that, they could also be talking about me, since one or two shoot me glances every once and awhile.

A redheaded girl storms into the classroom and right past the teacher, not bothering to say a word. She sat in the empty desk next to me as I studied and looked around the classroom for cheats. I caught the boys then silently freaking out and shooting her more glances in a minute then any of them ever did to me. I found it strange but didn't think about it too much. Instead of looking in their direction, she looked over in mine. Part of that being because the window was right behind me but i still caught her staring at me a few times.

The boys' foolish bickering just got louder, it was the only thing I could focus on. Lucky for them, it was a substitute teacher and barely anyone was in the class, probably skipping or something.

*Mike's POV*

"And you're positive she's MadMax? She's sitting by Cleo." I spit out to Dustin and Lucas

"We went over this yesterday! When she came in, she said her name was Max." Lucas began,

Dustin continued, "And, she skateboards! So she's pretty cool already."

"Just because she skateboards doesn't mean she's MadMax, girls don't play video games." I ramble on.

"I think Cleo can see us freaking out." Lucas worries.

"Maybe, you guys are being total idiots!" Will whisper-shouts to the rest of the party.

We looked over at Max who turned her eyes from Cleo to us, glaring at us.

"Shit, she saw us!" Dustin freaks and we huddle closer together in an attempt to be quieter.

We look back over to see if she was still looking at us.

I was the first to say something, "Uh, guys? Max and Cleo are gone."

<3