Chapter Two: Protecting Paul

At lunch I had a swarm of friends. Stephan's group, Sadie and Sabryna, Miranda and Crystal. Most of them sat near each other, the different cliques all meshed together. The only people who didn't mesh were the jocks and band geeks, who even then meshed during lunch. The only bad thing about it was when Paul and Jake sat down. Of course those two would chum it up. How did I not see this coming? I even saw it coming back when Miranda, Paul and I all hung out together, thankfully Miranda accepted my request of never introducing the two of them. Them now knowing each other made me gag and want to scream. But I couldn't, because I was no longer Paul's watch-dog and he was no longer mine. "Mindy, right?" I turned. Thank God for Nalina.

"Yeah, Dalia, right?" She nodded. She was with Jordane and Stacie. Urg, I hated those two... but the purpose of this whole thing was to start over and make friends instead of enemies.

"I was going to ask if you wanted to sit with us, but," she looked at all of the faces. "You seem like you're all good." I shrugged.

"I wouldn't meeting a few more people. I mean, I'm still the new girl, right?" She smiled and nodded. I heard a familiar disappointed sigh behind me, but when I looked behind me Paul wasn't there. Instead he was walking away. He was better at hiding his feelings as he got older. I almost felt bad. Almost. If I didn't know how much of a prick he was going to turn into I'd stay. Jordane made a face, but Stacie gave a bright smile. At least one of the closet lesbian besties was giving me a chance. "If that's okay with you guys, anyway..." I had to make sure it was okay with the group I was with. I knew Paul would be back.

"No problem, girl! Go!" Stephan encouraged. Sabryna nodded. She HATED Jordane and Stacie but knew I had to get away from Paul. I wasn't ready for him yet...

No day but today...

God damn Rent!

He was the Roger to my MiMi and this was my second chance. I swallowed, praying this wasn't going to be like old times where he'd find out everything about what was bothering me. He did that before we were even friends! I swear that boy was a dog or a wolf in a past life and a Man-Witch in this one. Warlock? Wizard? Whatever.

They also invited Crystal, Jake and Miranda. Jake tried getting Paul to come back in and sit with us but Paul declined, knowing it wasn't his crowd. Thank God. As soon as we all sat down the girls blew up with talking about how... sexy he is and even went into detail about what they would do if they were alone with him. Nasty! "Trust me, girls, he's not that good." Okay, I wouldn't actually know and all of his previous partners were never disappointed but I wasn't going to let him have gonorrhea at age fifteen. He had a year to go before his v-card expired and even then he's told me countless times he wished he would have waited. That's what all guys say. True, but we weren't even into each other when he told me. Jake rolled his eyes.

"For someone who doesn't like him you seem to be keeping him to yourself."

"I've been avoiding him."

"Why? He feels like he knows you. He just wants to talk. I keep telling him to give up."

"Don't tell him to give up!" Everyone at the table looked at me. "Can't a girl feel important and wanted? I mean, I'm not into him. I'm just not sure what to say to him."

"It sure sounds like you like him." Jordane teased.

"Well, I don't. He's a friend of a friend. That's how he knows me. I know he's not my type or anyone's here." Jordane cocked a brow.

"What's my type?" She pressed.

"Honey, I'm from Chicago. This is easy to tell just from one look. You like Mitchell and the other Jake. Or maybe you like both?" Her eyes widened and she pursed her lips. Stacie covered her mouth with her hand. Bingo.