Quest Time Baby

The next morning, Chiron moved me to cabin three. I didn't have to share with anybody. I had plenty of room for my stuff: the Minotaur's horn, one set of spare clothes, and a toiletry bag. I got to sit at my own dinner table, pick all my own activites, call "light's out" whenever I felt like it, and not listen to anybody else. 

"That sounds awesome!" Leo said.

And I was absolutely miserable. 

"Wait why?"

Just when I'd started to feel accepted, to feel I had a home in cabin eleven and I might be a normal kid-or as normal as you can be when you're a half-blood-I'd been separated out as if I had some rare disease. Nobody mentioned the hellhound, but I got the feeling they were all talking about it behind my back. 

"We were..." Travis said sheepishly. 

"We're sorry Ariadne." Katie saidsincerely. 

"Don't worry about it."

The attack had scared everybody. It sent two messages: one, that I was the daughter of the Sea God: and two, monsters would stop at nothing to kill me. They could even invade a camp that had always been considered safe. 

"I'm sorry Ariadne, I know how that must felt, but I would be nervoustoo." Piper said while everyone nodded their heads, even Ariadne.

The other campers steered clear of me as much as possible. Cabin eleven was too nervous to have sword class with me after what I'd done to the Ares folks in the woods, so my lessons with Luke became one-on-one. He pushed me harder than ever, and wasn't afraid to bruise me up in the process. 

"Was probably happy about it too." Thalia growled.

"You're going to need all the training you can get," he promised, as we were working with swords and flaming torches. "Now let's try that viper-beheading strike again. Fifty more repetitions." 

"That's harsh." Apollo commented.

Annabeth still taught me Greek in the mornings, but she seemed distracted. Every time I said something, she scowled at me, as if I'd just poked her between the eyes. 

"That's an... interesting way of putting it." Hera said while Annabethlooked apologetically at Ariadne. Ariadne shut her up by givingher a quick hug. The glare sent to Annabeth not going unnoticed by a certain moon goddess and her wife.

After lessons, she would walk away muttering to himself: "Quest... Poseidon?... Dirty rotten... Got to make a plan..."

Everyone snickered but stopped immediately after seeingAnnabeth's glare.

 I'd rather get into fights every day than be ignored. 

"I know the feeling man." Leo said completely serious

I knew somebody at camp resented me, because one night I came into my cabin and found a marital newspaper dropped inside the doorway, a copy of the New York Daily News, opened to the Metro page. The article took me almost an hour to read, because the angrier I got, the more the words floated around on the page.

GIRL AND MOTHER STILL MISSING AFTER FREAK CAR ACCIDENT BY EILEEN SMYTHE 

Sally Jackson and daughter Ariadne are still missing one week after their mysterious disappearance. The family's badly burned '78 Camaro was discovered last Saturday on a north Long Island road with the roof ripped off and the front axle broken. The car had been flipped and skidded for several hundred feet before exploding. Mother and daughter had gone for a weekend vacation to Montauk, but left hastily, under mysterious circumstances. Small traces of blood were found in the car and near the scene of the wreck, but there were no other signs of the missing Jacksons.