Chapter 48: Ticking Time Bomb

Zoey made it back to Darton and was parked in Mikey's apartment driveway in less than two hours. She may or may not have sped most of the way but time was against her. She was trying to get there and back before Damon noticed that she was gone or both her and Lily would get a scolding.

Zoey never thought she would see the day when she cared about getting in trouble. She only cared now because she knew that he constantly worried for her, and she felt terrible because Damon wasn't a bad guy. Zoey needed to teach him how to relax more. She'd have to do that later. She could teach him to ease up a bit more while they ate breakfast together tomorrow and planned everything else out. A wide smile spreads across her face at the thought. Yeah, she wanted to do that.

She went up to Mikey's apartment and knocked on the door. Mikey dragged her into his apartment the minute she did, catching her by surprise for a moment. She raises her brow at him questioningly, "What's the rush? You alright?"

Mikey runs his hands through his dirty blonde hair and gives Zoey a quick glare, "No. I'm not alright, Zoey. You just had me use my boyfriend for your little rebellion. And for fucks sake, I found something." He walks over to the couch, where he has a glass and bottle of whiskey sitting on the coffee table. He takes a swig of the liquor in the glass cup and looks at Zoey, "I swear I thought you guys were making the whole thing up. Like how? How can you force sentient beings to do your bidding and let alone them? It just sounded insane."

Zoey sits down on the couch with Mikey. The idea was sending him spiraling. He was completely freaking out. She decided to let the statement of Mikey calling Chester his boyfriend slide. They had other things to focus on. She puts her hand on his thigh and soothes him, "Mikey, calm down and focus. What did you find?" His spiraling was beginning to make her panic a bit. Was there something worse that she didn't know about?

He takes a deep breath before taking another swig, "Not much. I looked on his computer first, but there was nothing there. I only stumbled on it by accident. We were getting ready to leave for work, and his briefcase fell open. It had the information about that chip you were talking about." He stops and runs his hands through his hair again.

He was about to pour himself another drink when Zoey took it away from him, "Okay. You're done. How long have you been drinking? This isn't like you." She puts the glass and bottle of liquor in the kitchen out of his reach.

"How could I not drink? The world is going to turn into a fucking werewolf war zone. Do you know how many people are going to die? Millions, Billions. Maybe all of them. An army of werewolves at your command would be fucking unstoppable." He stares into the distance and shakes his head, just imagining it.

Zoey returns to the couch and wraps her arm around him, "It won't happen if we can stop it, Mikey. Come on. Stay with me. What else did you see?" She rubs her hand up and down his back to ease his anxiety which seemed to be overwhelming him.

Mikey runs his hands down his face, "You're right. It's not 100% ready, though."

She stops and raises her brow at him, "What do you mean it's not ready yet?"

"They need something to stabilize the connection. Currently, the link between the chip in the werewolf's brain and wherever they're sending the commands from only lasts a few days max. After that, they need to bring them back and restabilize the connection. Their physiology fights the mechanism, which wins after some time, so it's temporary. They're trying to find a more permanent solution. That's it. That's all I found before he came back." Mikey's eyes meet hers.

Zoey's brain was trying to process what Mikey had just told her. What he said meant they still had time to fight back before they attacked Trint and would explain why they hadn't attacked it yet despite knowing where it was the entire time. It was excellent news. She kisses Mikey on the cheek, "Thank you, Mikey. I know this was hard for you. You just provided some wonderful hope for us."