Chapter 16

We finished with the prehistoric life, moving onto the Hall of Mammals and then the Ocean Hall. As we walked and talked, I thought back to what I'd imagined my first date with my mate would be like.

As kids, Grace and I had planned it all out. They'd meet us at the door with flowers, then there'd be dinner and dancing.

Then, to finish it all off, it would end off with a single, perfect kiss goodnight.

I mean, we were seven at the time...

Looking up at my mate, I couldn't say that we were exactly sticking to that plan, but he was completely exceeding my expectations, regardless.

"So, do you want to keep going here, or did you want to try something else?"

"Hmm..." I mused. "Your choice – I picked this museum; you pick the next."

"Okay," his lips quirked to the side as he thought.

"How do you feel about art?"

I perked up at the question. "I like art!"

He looked behind me, "Well, the National Gallery is a block that way, and it has my favorite painting in it."

I tilted my head to the side, "You have one of those?"

Jonah cocked an eyebrow, "Don't I seem like the kind of guy who has a favorite painting?"

I shook my head, "You really don't."

Placing his hand on the small of my back, he chuckled, leading me toward the exit. "Come on, I'll show you."

The stunning marble architecture of the National Gallery of Art is a marvel in and of itself, classically beautiful and awe-inspiring in its scale – but it pales in comparison to the art it contains.

We strolled through the halls, stopping occasionally to admire and debate. As we neared the collection of Christian art, Jonah grew more and more excited.

Turning his head around the next corner, he grinned.

"Here it is!"

Okay...

I let him seat me on an upholstered bench before a large oil painting of a nude couple in a garden.

"Adam and Eve?" I glanced at him, curious. "Your favorite painting is of Adam and Eve?"

He nodded, smiling secretively. "Let me know when you see it."

See what?

I turned to examine the piece, noting the nameplate that hung on the wall beside it:

"Hendrick Goltzius – The Fall of Man"

Taking a skeptical look back at my mate, I caught the smug anticipation in his eyes.

"Weirdo." I muttered. Still, I leaned forward, eyes scrutinizing the work. The human figures were obviously based on real models with loving detail given to the curves and shadows of their bodies. The animals looked lifelike, a pleasant change after the horror that was medieval art, and the trees-

I could feel my mind stuttering.

...the fuck-

My brows creased together as I tried to make sense of what I was seeing.

"What-"

"You see it, right?"

I blinked, disbelieving, "Why does the serpent have a human fucking head?!"

Jonah's shoulders shook with barely restrained laughter.

I met his gaze, bewildered, but bewilderment gave way to mirth, and soon we were both getting annoyed stares as we tried and failed to hold back our snickering.

"The first time I saw this, I lost my shit - they almost escorted me out!"

Glancing behind me, I saw an attendant give me a pointed stare.

Nudging Jonah, I said, "We might want to go before we have a repeat of history."

He stood, holding out a hand to help me up, "Do you want to see the one where a dude's about to get eaten by a shark?"

My jaw dropped, and I answered, "Um, yes?!"

He took my hand, and I followed, fighting giggles.

We rambled through the art, hunting down and finding the only da Vinci on the continent, admiring the brush strokes of Monet and van Gogh and arguing which was the best Renaissance painter and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.

Glancing at his watch Jonah grimaced, "They're going to be closing in a half hour."

Walking beside him, I asked, "Want to go check out the modern art building?"

He sighed, voice dripping with self-deprecation, "I've never been cultured enough to appreciate modern art."

"Come on – maybe it'll speak to you this time!"

"Okay." Smiling fondly, he let me lead him and we found our way down to the tunnel that connected the two buildings.

"Oh, wow," I breathed.

The tunnel between the buildings is an art installation of its own called, "The Concourse" – lined with rows and rows of LED nodes on every surface, it twinkled in a surreal ballet of light.

Dumbstruck, I stepped onto the moving walkway and let my eyes take in the wonder of it all.

I wanted to ask Jonah a question, but as I pivoted on my heel, my breath caught in my throat.

His gaze held me, warm and worshipful – as though he beheld something divine. I trembled under the intensity of his stare, but I couldn't make myself turn away.

An electric galaxy swirled past us, bathing him in ethereal light. Eddies of luminescence glowed against his skin and shone in his eyes.

He looked otherworldly; beautiful and strange.

And he's mine...

Reaching up, I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling us together until he met my lips with his.

His hands came up to cradle my head, thumbs caressing my cheeks as the kiss deepened.

I pulled away with his taste on my tongue, feeling a sudden flush of happiness warming me from head to toe.

With a smile, Jonah tugged me against him, and I went willingly, resting my head against his chest as we looked up to watch the brilliant lights.