chapter 10

i shrug the thought off and continue to sit on the steps smoking the cigarette in between my fingers. i continue to look out in front of me still in thoughts of having to go to school at some point then i hear a scream.
it sounds like a young boy screaming for help but then it suddenly stops then seconds later i see porch lights come on and it puts me in worry. after a few minutes the porch lights go back off and the screaming didn't come back. i'm still on the porch confused on what that was then the black van drives past me again. "what the fuck?" i think to myself as i blow the cigarette smoke out into the cold air.

i hear the door creak open behind me and i snap my head back and see y/n wrapped in the blanket i had put on her earlier, with a soft expression on her face.
"vance? what are you doing out here? its cold."
y/n says rubbing her arms with the blanket.
i shrug "just needed some fresh air" i open my arms out to her and she sits on the step in front of me and she's now in between my legs and her head is resting on my leg.
i play with her hair with my left hand and the cigarette i had in my hand was now thrown out into the grass.
i notice her shivering and i pick her up and bring her to my room and lay her down gently.
i change my clothes into sweatpants and a gray t-shirt. then turn the lights off and lay down with her.

what the hell was that screaming for?
and why did the black van show up before and after the screaming was happening?
did that van have something to do..

these thoughts go through my brain until i see a hand wave in my face.
"vance,vance?,vance? hello?" i push my thoughts away and give her a sad smile. "yeah?" i whisper out "are you okay? you zoned out and you've been really quiet" she says putting a hand on my face. "yeah i'm fine... just tired" i say blankly and i watch as lays back down. i sigh and wrap my arm around her and i see a smile creep up on her face. "goodnight y/n" "goodnight vance" she says as her grips onto my arm.

morning
i wake up to y/n still on my arm and i hug her tightly.
i'm lucky to have y/n. she makes me feel better and she's the one who keeps me sane and not that pinball game.
i get up slowly so i don't wake her up and go sit on the couch to see if anything came up again from the news.

"finney blake"

finney? wait the kid with the curly light brown hair? i remember him.
he was the corner store staring at me when i got in a fight with some kid who bumped into the pinball game when i was about to get my high score. he looked terrified of me.

what if that was the scream yesterday? no it couldn't be i'm probably just overreacting.
the fucking detectives need to take care of this shit already.

since school is gonna start for me and y/n soon we need to go shopping at some point. i noticed while i was taking care of y/n's things that she honestly didn't have that much clothes as she should. i'll probably just take her out shopping or something today because we don't have anything else to do. it was currently 12:00 pm and i walked to the room to see if she was awake yet.
"y/n are you awake?" i notice her move a little and she gets up and rubs her eyes.
"hi vance good afternoon" i roll my eyes playfully and sit on the bed with her.
"so i was thinking about how we're gonna have to go to school at some point and i want to take you clothes shopping... would you want to do that today or..." she lights up and gives me a smile "yes that sounds great vance thank you so much" i give her a small smile and walk out to give her privacy so she can change.

i sit at the kitchen table and make toast as i wait.
"vance?" i hear someone say behind me. i turn around and see y/n in blue shorts and a white tank top "do these shorts look good on me or are they too big?" she asks quietly.
i cant help but just stare at her.
she's so beautiful.
"yes you look amazing they fit you perfectly" i say with a small smile. she smiles back and walks over to me and gives me an unexpected hug but i hug back and let out a deep breath.

we're now walking to the store and she grips onto my hand suddenly and i look back at her.
i turn around and see a glimpse of a black van "what the hell?" i ask myself quietly i just ignore it again and keep walking.

once we get to the store i give her some money and i sit outside of the store and wait for her to be finished. i notice a pinball game in the corner and it was taking everything in me not to play it but i gave in. i walk to the game and put a few quarters in to play.
i play for like 2 hours completely zoned into the game that i didn't notice the line growing behind me. "hey buddy give the game up! we want to play!" i heard someone yell behind me

"shut the fuck up i'm gonna get my fucking high score. you can wait dipshit." i yell back and one kid steps forward apparently not knowing who i was and when i saw him in the corner of my eye he looked at me a ran away.
i sighed then got my high score. "7741".

"vance i'm done" i hear someone say behind me and i turn around and see y/n with a big smile on her face. it was now around 4 pm so we decided to go get something to eat and we just picked up a few pizza's and went back to the house.

y/n was taking care of the clothes she just bought and i was sitting on the couch eating pizza waiting for her to finish so she could come eat with me. i hear movement in the kitchen and see y/n with new pajamas she had bought and stare at her. "vance you're staring" she says rolling her eyes jokingly. "what no i wasn't" i say clueless, she giggles and walks over to me and sits on the couch.

we finish eating and by the time she's already asleep on my lap.

i need to protect her at all costs.

a/n

hi :). so i would like to thank you so much for 4k reads i am very grateful especially since this is my first book and i was not expecting so many people to be interested. i would like to address that i'm trying my best to keep the whole grabber thing the same and the time zones of the kids kidnappings but things will be changed so it wont be completely the same as it is in the black phone.

if anyone has suggestions on who i should write about after i finish this book please comment. i've watched stranger things and the walking dead and shows like that and i could write about anyone just depending on how the character acts.
and if you have any suggestions for one shots that i will be making in the future don't be scared to comment about that either i am very reasonable.