ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ꜰɪᴠᴇ - ʟᴜᴋᴇ - ꜱᴜʙᴡᴀʏ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛᴇᴀʀꜱ

25 | Luke | subway with tears

Song of the chapter

Saigon – Luke Hemmings

Thursday

Luke knew he had to tell someone about the pills he had found and he really wanted the person to be Jade. He usually didn't tell her stuff like that, stuff that was so directly connected with him and his parents, but then he remembered the last time he had kept something from her and how bad it had ended.

He just wished this time, she'd listen if he told her to keep out of his business.

And on Thursday, when the two of them went to grab lunch together, it was the perfect opportunity to tell her, but still it took him more than ten minutes, before he was able to build the words.

In the meantime, Jade had already eaten half of her Subway sandwich and Luke too had munched off quite a bit.

"So...", he cleared his throat, "There's actually something I wanted to talk to you about."

Jade immediately stopped chewing, looked up from her food, her eyes big. She swallowed slowly. "What is it?", she whispered. "You aren't breaking up with me, are you?"

"What?", Luke replied really fast, "No! Why would you think that?"

She sighed out in relieve. "Thank god! You can't just scare me like that. It's never a good sign when your partner starts a conversation with 'we need to talk'"

"The thing I'm about to tell you actually doesn't concern our relationship", he explained.

Jade raised an eyebrow, challenging him to tell her more.

"I found some pills in my mother's mirror cabinet. Like really strange pills with some Latin name", he began. He believed that he could hear his heart beat. "I googled what they were and found out that they are mainly used as antidepressants."

Jade listened closely to him, slowly nodding after every sentence he said. "So you're telling me –"

"That I think my mom has some mental illness. Maybe depression, but I read that it can also help with anxiety attacks", he finished the sentence for her.

"Do you think her mental state is one of the reasons why she acts the way she acts in front of you?", Jade suggested.

"I don't know... It could be, but on the other hand, it doesn't explain everything. It's not like you get a mental illness and boom you're a bad mom. And on top of that, if she takes this medicine, shouldn't she feel a lot better?"

Jade nodded. "You're right, it doesn't make much sense... But what if... what if.."

"She abuses the medicine? Yeah, I've thought about it too", Luke admitted. "It's the theory I fear the most but at the same time, the one which seems the most realistic, doesn't it? If she takes drugs, it would explain why she hasn't been there for me. She probably wasn't there at all."