Enemy of the Palace

Endris arrived in the valley before I had finished gathering new branches for the fire. Despite his tall stature, Endris was quiet as a cat. I didn't hear my guide approaching until the crunch of pine needles right behind me gave me a start. I whirled around, dagger clenched in my hand, only to find Endris standing there with one raised eyebrow, wind-swept hair, and berry-red cheeks. He had clearly run the entire way.

I clutched my chest as I put my dagger away. "You scared me. Has nobody taught you sneaking up on people is rude?"

Endris didn't reply. His gaze swept over me and then settled on my face. "You fired a crackling arrow, yet you're completely fine?"

"And you ran all the way here for me," I replied with a wink. "Sorry, I just missed your grumpy face so much I had to summon you here."

The vein on Endris' forehead popped out. "You better have a good reason for this, or I'm doubling my pay."

I had learned from past encounters Endris was always serious. I raised my hands in surrender. "I have a good reason. How shall I say this..." I glanced at the downed trees and rubble left by the dragon, then at the cave embedded in the sheared-off rock face where the elf was waiting. I pressed my finger to my lips and continued in a hushed tone, "There's an elf in the cave."

Endris stared at me. "Certainly. And I have the fey queen living in the inn's basement."

"I hope she enjoys her stay then, because this one time I'm not kidding." I pointed to the cave, which had smoke escaping through the opening. "There's an elf in there. If you don't believe me, go see for yourself."

Doubt flickered in Endris' dark eyes. His eyebrows squished together. "If this is a joke, I'm charging triple," he threatened. Then he started crossing the valley with long strides. I picked up my stash of branches and hastily followed him.

Oleander was wrapped up in my cloak near the fire just the way I had left him, but he jumped to his feet when Endris burst into the cave.

Their eyes met. Endris' posture stiffened, while Oleander simply observed Endris with quiet curiosity. It was a good sign that my guide wasn't reaching for his sword, but I hadn't a clue what he was thinking.

I cleared my throat. "Oleander, Endris. Endris, Oleander."

Both men ignored me in favour of staring at each other. How rude.

Unlike he'd been with me, Oleander seemed calm with Endris. A slow smile spread on his lips, his eyes lit with an inner glow. "Hello," he said. 

"You need clothes, elf," Endris replied curtly. He shook the bulky pack he had strapped to his shoulders off and handed it to Oleander. "Take what you need from this."

When Endris turned to me, he looked like a nervous horse about to bolt. "Outside," he barked before grabbing my arm and pulling. 

I allowed Endris to drag me outside, but protested loudly all the way. "Ow! Stop! There's a reason I became a bowman, you know. I bruise like a peach. Let me walk on my own!"

Endris finally released me several feet away from the cave. "How, by the creators, did you find an elf?" he hissed, shooting me an intense, icy stare like I was to blame for his presence here. Then he gestured at the rubble. "And what happened here?"

"Both excellent questions, I said. "The dragon caused a landslide and plummeted into the valley after I shot its wing, leaving the trail of destruction you see here. When I tracked it down to the valley, the elf was in the water and when I pulled him out, he was alive. Says he doesn't remember how he got here, though."

"Did you finish the hunt, then?"

I blew my cheeks out and released the air. "Nope."

"You chose to save the elf over chasing the dragon?" For the first time ever, I saw the tiniest spark of admiration in Endris' eyes. I had to snuff it immediately.