Back to the Wall

While I was standing trial in the court building, I had left Oleander at the Prince Malte's Honour inn. Back home at the Thundercoast, Oleander had a tendency to wander off on his own if he felt a reason to. I was grateful to see he didn't do that here, and seemed to realise how dangerous it was for him to stray inside the city walls.

As Ariane, Endris, and I walked into the common room, Oleander sat at the table nursing a glass of water. He stood abruptly when he saw me enter, almost knocking over his drink. This behaviour was uncharacteristically clumsy of Oleander, and I fought the smile tugging at my lips. I could barely stop myself from smiling regardless whenever I looked at him after last night. We had to behave properly in public, however. I didn't want to aggravate Ariane by having rumours of my indecency spreading in the streets of Wildewall. Especially not after we sort of got along for the first time inside the court building.

Oleander seemed to have the same problem I did. There was a sparkle in his eye, but he compensated for it by looking at me with a frown so deep it crinkled his forehead. "Welcome back, lord Montbow," he spoke politely. "How did the trial go?"

I glanced at the innkeeper standing behind the bar. He appeared busy dunking mugs in water and scraping leftovers off of plates, but that didn't stop him from listening at everything going on in his inn. The walls had ears here, and I was highly aware of it. "The trial went fine, Oleander, thank you," I lied. "We'll await the innocent verdict while we prepare for the queen's ball tomorrow. I wish to visit the bathhouse today."

I turned to Ariane. "Is there anything else you need of me today before I take off?"

Ariane's eyebrows twitched. Then she shook her head and smiled brightly. "No, we have discussed everything we need to discuss today, love. Oh, but do behave yourself with the gentlefolks in the bathhouse. And with anyone else you may speak with today."

Ariane's chirping may have sounded like a doting betrothed teasing her beloved to anyone listening, but I knew she was warning me. Ezra was...particular, and it was best I didn't cross him and neither should Oleander.

"I lack your effortless grace, of course. But I'll make sure we all behave," I said with a forced smile.

Ariane hummed. "Good. I will see you before the queen's ball tomorrow, Laurence," she said, twirling her red hair around a finger like a lovesick woman. "Do let me know when the judge gives her verdict."

The way Ariane could so easily alternate between loving betrothed in front of others and cynical in private would have made me laugh if it didn't frighten me in equal measure. In order to survive in Wildewall, however, it was clear to me now I had to play Wildewall's game, too. If I wanted to bring this visit to a good ending, I couldn't afford to ignore the hierarchy and rules of this place any further.

As Ariane left the inn's common room, I put what I had learned in Brittleton's castle into practice. Even if acting like a snobby god-touched who couldn't even change his own clothes made me almost physically cringe. 

"I will change before heading into the city. Oleander, Endris," I said. I snapped my fingers and started walking towards the staircase.

Neither Oleander nor Endris seemed to take my sudden attitude seriously. Endris was unfazed and unblinking as he followed me. Oleander pressed his lips together. His cheeks flushed with effort as he seemed to hold back his laughter. His reaction was contagious, and I had to hold back my laughter as well, until we reached the door of my chambers. There was nobody stationed at my door; Ariane seemed to have dismissed the cavalry for now.

My room was one of the few places where Oleander, Endris, and I could hope to speak in private, but I had failed to take one thing into account. The nightstand. Immediately, Endris' dark eyes shot to the knife and the green fruit dripping on wood beside the bed. My face grew hot. Endris was no fool. He knew what that fruit was used for.