Chapter 1

A/N~ Okay, real quick. Thank you, whoever you are, for reading No Matter What You Do, Stick with the Pack. You are a huge help in my effort to to get published someday. After this goes through some Beta readers and editing, I am going to offer it as a free ebook on Smashwords, so if it's not to much trouble please give me your honest feedback, tell me what you want in this story. After you're done, visit http://beccalathorn.weebly.com/thank-you-with-your-help-with-stick-with-the-pack.html to get a treat from yours truly! Again, thank you for your help! 

~Becca.

                 The cafeteria was engulfed with its usual chatter. Things like tests and papers and teachers who are “evil” were the common consensus of topics for the day, as they were every other day before. And I don’t know what it was, but after three months of this, I wasn’t talking about those things anymore. It was scary, how easily that stuff became obsolete to me. Without even realizing it, I became something completely different from them.

            Well, I did notice. I just didn’t care.

            Swallowing the minor epiphany, I scanned the room for my pack’s table. Although scanning the room was pointless, they would be where they were always, by the taco stand. As I made my way there I got wistful stares from former table Mates, ones that I’m sure missed me but knew by now that I wouldn’t sit with them. I felt a stab of guilt in my gut, they didn’t do anything to deserve the cold shoulder. It’s just…I’m not like them anymore.

            I shook it off and advanced forward. I should have been used to this by now. And besides, they need to get over themselves. If a table and some crappy sandwiches were the only things that held our friendship together, then it wasn’t really worth preserving.

            As I took my seat on the hard, uncomfortable and disturbingly itchy cafeteria bench, I was greeted by small gestures from each of my pack Mates.

            “Sup Bitch.” Maxie said in a voice that screamed I-smoke-a-pack-a-day and handed me a custom made taco. (Funny, she’d never touched a cigarette in her life.)

            “Hey Kate.” Nathan grinned.

            From behind Maxie’s leg a little boy peeked out his head timidly.

            “Hi little bro.” I smiled, giving him a small wave.

            He scrambled out from behind Maxie and crawled up onto my lap. “Hi big sis.”

            Yes, ours was a weird pack. Western Oregon consisted of those three people plus me, where as a normal pack would have twenty wolves at the very least. Plus there was Maxie. Her being a Female was strange enough, considering there was only ten in the world (again, plus me). Her being an Alpha too? That was unheard of. Then there was Scuff (I think his real name is Patrick or something, but I’m not sure…). He just came out of nowhere apparently, Maxie just found him one full moon and took him in.  He was two things, incredibly smart and incredibly adorable. Someday that kid would be a lady killer, I swear. And for some reason he loved me to death. He was not a people person, barely even went near Nathan even though he knew Scuff longer then I had. He treated me like I was genuinely his sister, which is why I called him little bro.  Let’s add Nathan to the mix of oddities. Now I know that he used to run with Oregon’s Northern pack, but he left for some reason. Other than that, I didn’t know much about him.

            And then lastly we had me, the strangest of them all, for one reason alone, I was somehow born a werewolf, putting me down in history with only three other girls in history. Don’t get me wrong, werewolves are born all the time. Just, you know, they’re boys. (Because guys can be werewolves but girls can’t. Sexist.)  No one knows how or why a Female werewolf is born, top-notch scientists had been trying to find out forever. And it’s totally insane too, because it’s not like my family was filled with werewolves either. (I know, I checked.) But here I was, somehow bunched in with this rag-tag group.