Chapter 9

A/N~ Okay, real quick. Thank you, whoever you are, for reading No Matter What You Do, Stick with the Pack. You are a huge help in my effort to to get published someday. After this goes through some Beta readers and editing, I am going to offer it as a free ebook on Smashwords, so if it's not to much trouble please give me your honest feedback, tell me what you want in this story. After you're done, visit http://beccalathorn.weebly.com/thank-you-with-your-help-with-stick-with-the-pack.html to get a treat from yours truly! Again, thank you for your help! 

~Becca.

            I knew Oddy had arrived by Jeff’s squeals of excitement downstairs. I didn’t even need the added super hearing, he was more than loud enough. Oddy’s squealed along with the rest of them (Jack Derek Mom and Dad), and for a moment I felt a well of joy warm me up.

            But then my attention turned back to my bed, where upon coming home from school I found a “present” laying on my bed. My sheets were soaked with the blood of the squirrel that was torn into little bits and left on my bed, along with a note that said For You My Sweet. And man was that thing torn to bits, I’d seen paper go in a shredder and come out more whole. The whole thing, even for a werewolf, was pretty disturbing and gruesome. And it left me in a coma like state of just staring at it in disbelief, for hours. I literally had not moved since I walked in that room. I hadn’t even dropped my backpack.

            What was I going to do? Northern was stepping it up, he was about to make his move. I was running out of time. I couldn’t track him, couldn’t hunt him down, I still had barely any training in controlling myself, Maxie had refused to ever since that little scene back in her apartment, and I couldn’t fall back on my pack for help. It seemed like a race, which would get me first, the hunter or the Northern wolf? Either way it seems I was doomed.

            And who else would get wrapped up in all this? Would either of the two go after my family? There was no way they could defend themselves against things they didn’t even know existed. Damnit, I should have told them, if for nothing else then to be prepared. Now, they were going to go up against some psycho lunatic werewolf utterly defenseless and it was all my fault. I had to protect them, that was just a fact. I had to forget the fact that I probably wasn’t strong enough (or fast enough) to level with either of these guys, I had to do it. Letting either of them touch my family was not an option.

            Oddy, Oddy would back me up. If I, for whatever reason, wasn’t able to protect them, Oddy would go up to bat. Hell, she’d probably be better than me. She was a vampire, after all, extreme strength boosts and other such things were part of the package. Only…only I still couldn’t see her fighting anyone. Sure, she’d turn from a blue-doe-eyed strawberry blonde to a Raven-haired purple-eyed beauty of the night overnight, but she never lost that sweet innocence that she always had. And who was I to ask her to risk her life for me? No way I could live with myself if anything happened to her, especially on my account. But then that left me running out of time and options.

            Oddy might know what to do though.

            I dropped my backpack on the floor like a sack of bricks, opening my door and rushing downstairs. I was greeted by the scene of everyone taking turns hugging Oddy, patting her on the back and catching up with her. She politely complied, even though she detested being in the spotlight. When she caught my eye, she smiled brightly, eyes widening excitedly. I plastered on my Oh my gosh face and ran down to give her a hug, much to the dissatisfaction of everyone else.

            “Oddy!” I screamed. “Oh my gosh, how are you?” I pulled her into a close hug and whispered in her ear, so lowly I was sure that only she and I could hear it. “You need to come up to my room, I’m freaking out.”