»»-Chapter 2-««

I know, I know. Never jump out of a 2 story window with no plan for how to get down, BUT... fear makes you do stupid things. So, let's move on.
I didn't hit the floor, I don't think I'd have survived if I did. No, I landed on the tree below, one of the many that lined the street, tall enough to reach the first story and reducing the damage of my fall greatly. Granted, it wasn't some movie fall. I landed at the top of the tree, the branches didn't catch me immediately and I fell through the tree for a solid 10 seconds before I hit a branch strong enough to hold me. So there I was, face scratched by branches, soaked by the rain that had collected on the leaves and cold already. What to do now? I had done the hard part and gotten out but now I had to find somewhere to go, because there was no way in hell I could go back to my uncle's house. At least, not without risking being murdered within seconds of opening the door. And with that thought fresh in my mind, I began my descent. I sped up as I heard shouts from my window.
"I'll find you, kid, and when I do... oh boy when I do!"
"You had best not think about coming crawling back here, ye leech"
"You're just like that bloody mother of yours, a good for nothing!"
And it went on... lovely.
The last branch was about 3 feet from the ground, but strangely it seemed a lot less daunting after having jumped out of a window with little to no plan. Touching the ground, I began running, not just running... sprinting. As though my uncle was suddenly sober and in a fit state to chase me. Ha. He wishes. But I didn't stop. I couldn't stop. I didn't know where I was going but I'd know when I got there.
And sure enough I did. I was outside the circus tent. I had no ticket so I snuck around the outside before climbing into the tent and under the chairs. I had the best seat in the house, minus the feet dangling in front of me, but I could see everything.
The show began shortly after, a ringleader taking centre stage before being joined by 2 clowns, then a daredevil, a tightrope walker, a trapeze duet, a snake charmer and other brightly dressed people showing off an array of talents. My jaw remained agape the entire show and I was left feeling empty soon after it finished. I watched as everyone else filed out of the tent and waited until it was practically silent outside the tent before sneaking out. I heard shouts and cheers from across the field as the circus people celebrated. I took the opportunity to snoop around the campsite. I looked at all the painted trailers, each different colours and patterns, presumably one for each performer. I trailed my hand along each one, lost in my own little world.
"What are you doing?" I froze. Should've been more careful, dumbass.
"Uhhh... I was just... lost?" I said, refusing to face the disembodied voice behind me.
"The show finished over an hour ago, why are you still here?" He sounded impatient. Not good.
"Ummm..." I began turning around to face the man. I expected the strongman from the show, maybe the daredevil or the ringmaster. But instead I was met with someone who I'd never seen before. A tall 6ft tall, scrawny ginger. His eyes were dark in the moonlight and he hugged the blue jumper he wore towards himself. I shivered, my body allowing itself to feel the cold as the adrenaline drained from my body. I was wearing jeans and a grey hoodie. Not exactly the warmest outfit. His eyes scanned over me, taking in my wet clothes and hair, the makeup that had been half removed by wiping my face dry, I was a sorry sight to say the least. I broke the silence at last. "Listen I'm really sorry, I just ran away and I've never been to a circus before and everything seems so bright and perfect here and I thought I was alone but I'm clearly not, so I'll just be going now" it was word vomit. I couldn't stop myself. God, how embarrassing.
"Where would you go?" He asked, his face seeming to have softened after I spoke.
"I don't know... away from here?" I joked, trying to ease the tension slightly.
"Why? You think this place is 'bright and perfect', right? Let me give you a tour. I'll prove you wrong." He replied, bluntly.
"And what do you want in return..." I was suspicious to say the least. No guy does something nice in the middle of the night out of the good of his heart.
"Company?" He looked down at me... almost sheepishly.
"Urgh, I should've known. You're disgusting." I rolled my eyes at me and turned my back. Of course he wanted sex. I was stupid to think otherwise.
"No, not that company!" He grabbed my wrist and turned me around, facing him again. "Just someone to talk to, you know? There's nobody here my age... at least... not anymore..."
"Oh... umm... I'm sorry. Yeah, I'll keep you company. I'm Stephanie." I was curious about him. That was why I agreed. And just for that reason. Nothing else. Real believable, Steph. Almost convinced yourself there.
"Stephanie? You don't go by anything shorter? Steph? Stephie? Fanny?" I giggled at that one. Mature, I know. "Effie?" I liked that one. I'd been called every possible abbreviation of Stephanie before, but to commemorate being a new person, one free of my uncle, I wanted to be called something new.
"Yeah, Effie. You gonna tell me your name?" I asked, nudging him playfully.
"But where's the mystery if I just tell you?" He joked back. He had a sense of humour too! Perfect.
"Come on mystery man, I can't be expected to go on a tour with someone who I don't know the name of!"
"You've got a name for me!" He laughed. Wow. His laugh was just... YOU JUST MET HIM, CALM DOWN...JEEZ!
"I don't have a name for you though, mystery man" I laughed with him
"You do, mystery man. Call me that."
"Alright, mystery man, whatever you say."
And with that, the tour began. He dragged me around the field, showing me where they ate, slept, trained, everything. He wouldn't tell me which trailer was his though, which did annoy me. I asked him question after question but he never answered anything personal. As though he didn't want me to get to know him. He was happy being Mystery Man, and I was just happy to have something to do for my first night alone. He didn't stop me from talking myself, however. In fact, he encouraged it. I told him about my uncle, running away, not having a place to stay, school, my parents, everything. And he listened. Nodding and asking me more, as if he cared. By the end of the night he had led me to the gate of the field, leading me out.
"I have to get home soon, or Lila will kill me." He told me
"Who's Lyla?" Fearing the worst... a girlfriend.
"My mom." He replied bluntly. Not building on it.
"Oh... Will I see you again?" I asked
"Sure you will, you can come back tomorrow and you could give me a tour of somewhere in Gotham. We're only here for another few days and then we'll be off somewhere else. I never get to actually see the city." It suddenly hit me that the boy I had just spent hours taking to, would disappear from my life as quickly as he entered... and it upset me. There was no other explanation. It was weird.
"Oh okay, sounds like a plan." I smiled, my mind wandering to where I'd spend the night.
"I'll see you tomorrow then, sleep well Effie." My stomach fluttered hearing my new name.
"See you tomorrow Mystery Man" and with that, I began walking towards the city.