BOOK TWO: ACT TWO, SCENE EIGHT

ACT TWO, SCENE EIGHT: Life Isn't Fair
"That's not fair."

BILLY RAN A HAND DOWN his face as he turned away from Mallory

BILLY RAN A HAND DOWN his face as he turned away from Mallory. She could practically assume the answer just from his stance.

"You told me he would be safe," She spat, "That we all would."

"That was when I was the only one. And before you started digging into this," Billy pointed out.

Mallory approached him, "How many of you are there?"

"There's only one me," Billy dryly chuckled, apart of hisself peeking through.

"Billy," Mallory sighed, but smiled nonetheless.

He shook his head, "I don't know. A lot."

"What happened to you?" She asked with a gentle voice.

Billy turned away, nearly flinching at the question. It was clearly not a happy memory. Mallory wasn't sure she even wanted to know.

"Please, Billy. Let me help you," She reached for his hand. Billy let her take it, as he just stared at the ground.

Finally, he spoke, "Mal, no matter what happens to me—"

"Shut up. Don't finish that sentence," Mallory started to pull away. In an attempt to stop her, Billy went to grab her arm. His palm squeezed the monster's scar as he held her.

Mallory didn't even bother to look at him as she tried to tug her arm away. It was rather easy, seeing as how Billy had suddenly disappeared. In fact, the entire world had faded to black.

"God, not this again," Mallory stomped, looking around for an exit. A figure flickered in the distance.

Mallory's eyes jumped to where the figure was. Then, her eyes jumped to another shuddering specter. Then another, and another. Nearly 30 bodies blinked in and out of the Black Room.

"Hello?" Mallory shouted out to them. It was the first time she saw anyone else in the space, but no one responded.

"Hel-lo?" She sang, "Can anyone hear me?"

Still, the figures remained motionless like toy soldiers. Mallory approached the cluster of faded forms. She weaved in and out of the first ten, trying to find one of them that might be conscious.

When none gave any signs of life, she decided to move on to the next test. They didn't seem very solid, but maybe she could touch one of them. Maybe that would wake them.

She cautiously stretched out her hand to the ghost woman in front of her. Her fingers were about to make contact with the apparition when clashing thunder shook her ribs.

Mallory jumped, eyes darting to the red sky fading with the sound of the thunder. Another crash of thunder made the sky light up, this time silhouetting an enormously horrid spider-like creature. Mallory's heart sank at the sight.