BOOK TWO: ACT TWO, SCENE SIX

ACT TWO, SCENE SIX: Mallory is Still the Chaperone
"Chaperoning?"

MALLORY DROVE THE KIDS BACK to El's house, the creepy cabin in the woods

MALLORY DROVE THE KIDS BACK to El's house, the creepy cabin in the woods. The car's atmosphere read weird. Every time Mallory would look back in the rearview mirror, the kids would all be comforting each other. Debbie didn't sit up front with Mallory for once.

Although the Bronco could hold up to nine people, that was when they were spaced out across all three rows of seats. Currently, all of the kids sat in the middle row. Will, Lucas, and El sat in the proper seats while Debbie, Max, and Mike sat on the floor.

Debbie has her head against Will's leg but her hand holding Max's. Max's other hand wrapped around Lucas's leg as her head rested against it and he played with her hair. Mike sat in between El's legs and rubbed her calf.

Mallory looked at the steering wheel and sighed. What was she doing with all of these kids? She should be out and having fun before she ran away to college or something. She should be with some boy, committing some sin with him. She should be with Billy.

She missed Billy. The not-possessed Billy.

"Alright, we're here," She spoke softly to the tired kids who couldn't sleep. Everyone shuffled out like zombies. They all just wanted to lay down, though they knew they couldn't.

The door was locked when the group got to it. Everyone sort of turned to El and stepped out of the way so she could use her powers to open it. El stared at the door and it flung open.

They entered the empty cabin. There was a silence amongst the group different than that in the car.

Finally, somebody spoke, "Where's Hop?"

"Who?" Mallory asked.

"Hopper. Where is he?" Will clarified.

"Do we need him? Not to be rude, but we got Billy without him," Mallory shrugged.

Mike shook his head, "No, Billy isn't dead. The Mind Flayer is still out there. We don't know what it's doing or where it's going. We're gonna need reinforcements."

"Curfew," Debbie shouted, glancing at a clock on the wall. Mallory looked as well. Nearly four in the morning.

"El can find Hopper," Max said, "She can do it at Mike's house."

"Alright, load up," Mallory modded, clapping her hands together. The kids had a bit more energy in them. As they all began crawling back into the middle row, Mallory protested.

"All of your butts better be in seats this time!"

El sat in the front with Mallory since Debbie had was sat in between Mike and Will with Lucas and Max in the back. Mallory notes two things about El: She was a woman of few words and the bruises were already forming.