BOOK TWO: ACT ONE, SCENE SEVEN

ACT ONE, SCENE SEVEN: The Beginning of the End
"It was all bullshit, though."

MALLORY WOKE UP BEFORE BILLY did

MALLORY WOKE UP BEFORE BILLY did. She rolled out of bed and took a few glances at Billy, deep circles already darkening under his eyes. Still, she thought he was beautiful.

She made her way towards the bedroom door, cracking it open and listening for any signs of Billy's dad. Susan had caught Mallory on multiple occasions but never made a huge fuss. Just a simple, "As long as his father doesn't know."

Luckily, she was alone. Mallory walked down the hallway to the kitchen. She lazily grabbed two cups and filled them with water, then made her way over to their bathroom to see if she could snag any Aspirin. Much to Billy's luck, there was half a bottle left.

She slowly walked back to Billy's room, her feet dragging along the way. Why she was so tired, Mallory didn't know. It was as if she hadn't slept a wink.

Billy was still asleep when she got back. Mallory set the water and medicine down before sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"I should go," She whispered to herself. She took off Billy's shirt, leaving her in just her swimsuit once more.

Instead of getting up and moving to the door, though, Mallory just stared at the wall. Goosebumps rose over the now exposed skin. These goosebumps, although, were merely from the cold. A chill ran through her body and shook the bed.

"Hmph," Billy groaned as he rolled over, finally awake. Mallory sighed. She had missed her chance.

She didn't say anything, as if not speaking would make it seem like she's not actually there. Not even when Billy's hand dragged down her back while he was stretching did she make a sound.

"Hey," Billy said.

Mallory sharply inhaled, "Hey. I got you some water and Aspirin. I really should get going though."

Mallory got up and searched around the room for her keys. Looking over at the large mess she made when she tumbled in, she knew her keys were somewhere hidden in there. Before she could move over, a hand grabbed hers.

"Wait," Billy said, "Why're you in such a hurry to go?"

Mallory sighed, "I forgot to call Jimmy last night. He's going to be worried sick."

That wasn't really a lie. Jimmy would be worried sick. She just didn't really care.

Billy picked up on it, "Okay, seriously, why are you leaving?"

"Billy," Mallory tried changing the subject, "What were you drinking last night? I have never seen you so... rotten."

Billy groaned and ran a hand down his face, "I don't even know. My buddy said it was called like 'The Devil's Serum' but he thought it tasted like Jungle Juice. Why? Did I say something?"

Mallory chuckled and shook her head, "You said a whole lot of things. It was all bullshit, though. Half the time I couldn't even understand you."

Billy nodded and drank the water. He followed with the pills while Mallory just stood and watched. He was so beautiful.

"What're you staring at?" Billy broke Mallory out of her trance.

"Nothing," She said breathlessly, "Nobody's home, can I go out the front?"

Billy bit his lip before nodding, "Yeah, sure. Hey, what're you doing tonight?"

"Dunno," Mallory shrugged.

"You're going on a date with me, that's what you're doing tonight. I'll pick you up around nine, okay?"

"Billy," Mallory sighed, "I haven't even finished unpacking."

Billy shrugged and shook his head a bit, "Fine. I'll pick you up at eight. We'll go grab some food and then we'll go back to your house and I'll help you unpack."

She couldn't help the smile that came on her face. With a shake of her head, Mallory said, "Okay. What should I wear?"

"What you're wearing now is fine," He said after looking her up and down. Mallory threw her keys onto his chest with a playful smile.

"I'm not going on a date in my swimsuit, you idiot," She laughed lightly.

Billy chuckled as well, "You can wear whatever, Mal. You'll look good no matter what."

Her heart flutter. Billy always managed to casually make compliments. He'd do it when he was reading a magazine, or grabbing the mail, or getting her a glass of water. It was like he had all these compliment stored in his head and he used them whenever he felt like it.

Mallory took a deep breath. He didn't love her anymore, she had to keep reminded herself that to keep her feet on the ground. Billy is back to his old self, just trying to get girls, panties off.

"I'll see you then," She still said, despite every fiber in her being telling her to not go on that date. Telling her to say no and tell him she wanted to stay home that night.

But, as stubborn as Mallory always was, she didn't listen. She left the house, walking down the sidewalk to her car that was parked around the corner, the eerie feeling in her stomach never leaving.

Mallory drove home quietly. The soft rumble of the car engine, the bumps on the road, it all felt wrong. Everything felt wrong.

She got home and walked inside. Jimmy was already waiting for her, a stern look on his face.

"Okay, I understand if you want to catch up with old friends but a phone call would be nice, Mallory!" He shouted, "Remember the last time you did tell me where you were going?"

"Jimmy, please," Mallory whined, "I don't feel good and I have a date later tonight. I just want to lay down for a little bit."

"And leaving your sister, too? In somebody's house, who's parents I've never met! What are you thinking? Are you insane?"

Mallory ran a hand down her face, "Jimmy, I'm not in the mood, really."

"Just because you don't want to be here doesn't mean that you can treat everyone in the town like shit!" Jimmy rarely cussed.

Mallory slammed her hand on the table, "Shut up! There is something seriously wrong with this town! If you're too dumb to see it, that's not my problem! But don't come here, yelling at me because you're a fucking idiot!"

The weird feelings she was having paired with the growing tension between her and Jimmy did not mix well. All of her emotions from the past few days suddenly blew up. Every feeling of heartbreak, disappointment, and angst all came together to make a terrible end.

Jimmy's face hardened even more, "This is your one pass, young lady. Go to your room."

Mallory leaned in close to Jimmy's face, "Go to Hell."

She stomped to her room. Eight o'clock couldn't come soon enough. Since Jimmy probably wouldn't let her go on the date, Mallory decided she would just have to sneak out.

So, at seven forty-five, Mallory hopped out her window and silently walked to the front stoop. Her uneasiness still hadn't left.

Billy never showed to pick her up.

words: 1165
date published: saturday, june 27th, 2019, 1:32 pm
a/n: feeling a bit hopeless and i think that kinda came threw in the writing and made it a little bad. sorry abt that.