iv. Synopsis

iv. Writing Help
Synopsis'

𓇻 Notes,Below will be a list of tips and tricks on how to write a synopsis along with a rough guide on how I write mine, including how to write script style synopsis'

𓇻 Notes,
Below will be a list of tips and tricks on how to write a synopsis along with a rough guide on how I write mine, including how to write script style synopsis'.
This isn't to say that my way is the only way or the correct way, this is just one of the millions of wonderful ways of writing.
Everyone has a different writing style so what might work well for someone else might not work well for you, and that's okay, it's a lot of trial and error and figuring out what suits your writing style the best.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
This chapter has been requested by 1-800-LOVEMOTEL.

Before you start.
Know your plot.   Start by writing a basic list of bullet points, notes, a mind map, or what works best for you, about the plot of your book. This is to confirm the general course your plot will be taking and to ensure that your synopsis matches up with future chapters so readers understand the general idea and direction that the story will be taking. It makes it easier to figure out what you'd like to include in the synopsis and what bits you'd like to leave out.

Brackets.   This is a tip for not only your synopsis, but also for your writing in general. Use brackets to type out a brief description of what you'd like to include in that paragraph or that chapter. This acts as a plan of sorts and makes it easier to write when you're stuck as you can skip areas and come back to them but still know what you wanted to occur in that section.

Characters.  Your book will follow the main characters as they go on their journey and encounter various obstacles. You need to have a clear picture of who they are before you approach the synopsis because it will be about them, introducing them and giving you a glimpse of who they are or their past depending on what you want to include in your synopsis.

How much to give/keep back.  You need to know how to give the readers information without going into too much detail over the plot. They're reading the book to find out what happens, there's no point in them reading any further if you spoil the whole plot in the synopsis, so don't give away any plot twists or character developments. [This won't be too much of a problem if your synopsis is just a backstory.] The reader should be able to have a brief understanding of who, where, what and when.

Sentence structure.  Short, medium, long, keep it varied to ensure it flows. Too many short sentences together and it seems jerky and too many successive long ones and it's dreary and boring, and hard to read with too many sentences that run onto each other. Make sure it flows and you're more than welcome to ask a friend to read it for you to check if it's okay.

Punctuation.   I know it can seem aesthetically pleasing to leave out capital letters, and that's okay, that comes down to the writer themselves, but please don't leave out punctuation. The absence of it can make it difficult and off putting to read for readers and may cause them to click off your story.