journey to the centre of the tardis

"salvage of a lifetime

"salvage of a lifetime." the doctor smirked as he spoke to the boys standing in front of him.

his hearts were beating out of his chest.

"you meant the ship. i meant clara."

of course, the doctor was concerned about clara. she had fallen into the tardis, goodness knows where.

she could be hurt or worse, and the doctor needed to find her. the tardis was wrecked, he needed clara out alive.

but there was a thought nagging at the back of his mind, a thought that shouldn't have been there.

'i failed to protect her.' it was spinning through his mind. 'i'm sorry rose.'

the doctor hated himself for thinking it.

there he was, in the tardis with a bunch of strangers trying to find clara, and all he could think about was rose.

he hadn't been able to protect rose.

his rose.

he had tried his best, but the doctor couldn't save rose tyler.

and even though it was hundreds of years ago to him, that still broke his hearts more than anything else.

but now, there was a chance that he could save clara, and he was going to do everything in his power to make sure that he did.

'i'll save her rose,' he told himself confidently, 'i'll save her like i couldn't save you.'
-
the doctors eyes widened immensely as he realized what happened.

"the tardis is leaking." his voice was filled with fear.

"leaking what?" he knew that clara was just trying to make heads or tails of what was going on.

and he couldn't blame her for that. but her questions were upsetting him, because he knew exactly what was going on.

and he didn't know how to stop it.

"the past." but not just any old past. his past.

and he knew what that would mean.

it would keep going, time would keep displaying back in front of them. his past would be projected for all to see.

the tardis would continue leaking everything out.

the doctor couldn't help but feel terrified, yet also hopeful.

'if the tardis keeps leaking out my past, maybe, just maybe, i'll get to see rose again.' he couldn't stop the thought from taking over his brain.

once it was there, it wouldn't go away.

the chance to see rose again? even if only for a second? that was something he'd never pass up.

but to see her in front of him, never being able to touch her, or hold her, or kiss her, not even being able to speak to her, well, he wasn't sure if he could handle that.

although as the doctor stood with clara, watching their interaction from earlier that day, he realized that he would do it.

he would stand there and wait to see his past if it meant seeing rose tyler even one more time.

he would suffer through the pain of watching himself lose her, and everyone else, because he needed to see her, if it was possible.

the doctor hung his head.

he knew how much it would hurt. just thinking of her every day broke his hearts beyond repair.

but he would do it.

the doctor would accept all the pain in the universe if it meant catching just a glimpse of rose tyler again.

even if she wouldn't know he was there.