Caught.

~ ❦ ~

I let out a deep sigh and shook off my rain coat as I stepped into the lobby of my building.

I quickly punched the call button for the elevator and it was all I could do to keep from resting my forehead against the cool metal elevator doors. I closed my eyes as I waited for the perpetually slow and rickety elevator to make its way to me.

Finally, I hear a ding and look up to see the elevator doors slide open. My breath hitches as I see a sole occupant of the elevator. It was Jinsu.

I walked through the metal doors and I unfortunately stumbled making him catch me by the shoulder as I suddenly stumbled over the threshold. "Careful" He said with just a hint of amusement. "Well, are you coming?"

With an internal groan, I realized that I had been standing unmoved while he held the door for me. I shook myself back into the present.

"Sorry.." I mumbled an apology as I quickly stepped into the elevator.

Not trusting myself to avoid making more of an ass of myself, I moved to the corner, eyes downcast, resolved not to say another word. And yet, the Fates decided today would be the day to mess with me and at the exact moment the doors closed.

"Are you heading home?" He decided to cut the awkward silence in the room.

"Yeah, I have to catch the bus-"

"Let me give you a ride" He interrupted. Straight away I looked up at him seeing the playful smile displayed on his lips as he waited for my answer.

"That's not necessary. You've already done too much with lunch earlier today"

"Don't be ridiculous. It's not even much" He said in between his infectious laughter. Why is he being so kind? I honestly don't get it, it's not like I've done anything different but he just woke up one day and decided to pay attention to me of all people.

"Uh.. okay.." My voice trailing off as the elevator opened revealing the company parking lot.

Jinsu walks ahead and I quietly follow behind him as we make our way toward his awaiting blue sedan.

I slipped into the car beside Jinsu, the silence between us laced with an underlying tension. I give him my address and he plugs them into his gps before he starts the engine. The hum of the car's engine filled the air, mingling with the ambient sounds of the city. I cast a tentative glance toward Jinsu whose presence was both comforting and unfamiliar at the same time.

"Thank you for picking me up," I ventured, my voice tinged with a hint of formality and an attempt to bridge the unfamiliarity.

As the car navigated through the city's maze of lights, I shifted in my seat, my gaze lingering on the passing scenery before turning towards him. He looked so handsome while driving.

"Are you gonna keep staring at me?" Jinsu's teasing tone broke through the silence in the car.

My face heats up nervously as I quickly turn back to look at the road as I was close to my house and I tapped on my steering wheel. "Umm.. I wasn't-"

"Don't worry, I don't mind" He shrugged his shoulders sort of obnoxiously as if the thought of being as attractive as he was a burden. I scoffed at his cockiness, all the while secretly loving the subtle confession of him not minding I look at him.

He eventually pulled his car near my house. The car rolled to a graceful halt and he turned off the engine.

I unbuckled my seatbelt, a sense of ease settling over me as I glanced at the imposing structure. "Thank you, Jinsu. I really appreciate you taking the time to drive me home" I said, a genuine note of gratitude in her voice as I prepared to step out.