Storm

Hello everyone, still with me? Awesome.

Somebody recently asked me if this was an anti-Divination or a pro-Divination story. If pressed, I'd consider it a positive-neutral Divination story. A very woolly branch of magic, ripe for abuse and misrepresentation, yet capable of surprising insights. We'll see a lot of Divination in the remaining chapters.

Draco woke up reluctantly to dim morning light and a soft, purring weight. A feeble effort to move his legs sent him to the floor with a thump. He felt like his head had split in half. He didn't even want to open his eyes, convinced he'd see brains and blood pooling on the carpet in what Mother would surely consider a suggestive pattern.

It was Wednesday, right? Fuck, he needed to go to class. No, he wouldn't go to class. He'd lie here until he felt better, which he estimated would be two weeks from never.

"YOWL!"

Oh Salazar, the cat. Draco opened his eyes a fraction. He was lying beside the sofa, still wearing yesterday's heavy jumper and trousers, although he'd shed his shoes.

"YOWL!" Cranky was backing away, hissing at the round, pink box. "YOOOOWL!"

Draco clutched his head. This was intolerable. All he needed was for the inkpots to turn into kittens again and join the uproar.

"Tally," he called softly.

The loud crack nearly took Draco's head off. He shifted so he was sitting up on the floor, eye to eye with the elf.

"Mr. Malfoy!" Tally scolded, long hands on tiny hips. "You is to be in class today! CLASS!"

"My head hurts," Draco said thickly. Fuck, he sounded pathetic.

The elf sniffed. "Drinkings and carryings on with womens. WOMENS!" She pointed a long finger at the red glove Draco now realized he was clutching to his chest. Tally's malevolent gaze turned to the cat and she gave an enormous sneeze that rang in Draco's skull.

"Tally," Draco began, "could you possibly take Cranky to—"

Tally gave another sneeze that should have taken her own head off at the mere suggestion that she could take any cat anywhere. Tally would bring food, she announced.

"And a headache potion, Tally—"

"EVIL DRINKINGS!" Tally shouted and disappeared with another mind-damaging crack.

The elf returned with breakfast for Draco and bowls of food and water for the cat. And Draco's tray did include a headache potion beside the salt shaker. Tally didn't remain to be thanked, however, just departed with another unnecessarily loud noise.

Draco felt much better after the potion and breakfast, and was actually enjoying a third cup of tea when more aggravation arrived in owl form. Mercury bore two messages, and Draco wasted no time tossing the first into the fire. His service in Umbridge's Inquisitorial Squad had taught him to burn any pink envelopes immediately.

He unrolled the other missive:

My dear son,

Swirling clouds have gathered over the Manor, casting darkness over the House of Malfoy.

Beware.

Your loving mother