Chapter 2- Familiar yet dreadful

South Korea, 9:21 am

South Korea, beautiful, modern yet traditional, and suddenly opened to the world after facing wars and problems in between.

It's no longer "The hermit kingdom" from a century ago.

He gazed up at the sky, a picture perfect sky. Another day, and more studying and work. He went inside his house, returning to his room.

Everything had to be perfect for everyone, he thought of all sorts of creative things he could somehow create. Sitting down, he opened up his laptop and stared at it for a moment, unsure what exactly to do.

Japan was also known as the country of ancient, beautiful, modern, and traditional. But for South Korea, she could be seen as a rival friend. He wouldn't consider her a best friend, but a friend was enough.

The phone rang on his desk, it was the middle of the night, and South Korea was confused but decided to answer.

"Hello?"

"South Korea, I don't know if I should tell you, I think it would strain our relations further, but you wouldn't believe this. I'm very shocked as well."

And it was Japan. Of course.

"Well, what are you trying to say?" South Korea asks, confused at what Japan is heading at this.

"I believe I saw Imperial Japan."

There was a pause between them, South Korea tried to catch his breath.

"Excuse me?"

South Korea slightly smiled, praying it was a stupid joke on him.

"Japan you know these topics are sensitive amongst us, don't mention this unless you truly have to." He switched to a more serious tone, triggered at Japan.

Japan sighed, knowing she wouldn't convince South Korea that she indeed, had seen him. But not in the way she had remembered all those years ago. She had just saw her Father in the aftermath of the bombings, so she couldn't even communicate with him at all.

This morning, Japan had been strolling though the trees of her country when through them, she could see him, although he was looking the opposite direction, seeming confused.

But it was the same Imperial Japan, except now Japan had seen the figure of him when he was at his death. The same mask, was still covering his face, the face she had never seen again ever since the first bomb. Any exposed skin of his were covered in bandages, but Japan could see blood dripping down to the grass from his arms.

This appearance of him was the one Japan saw when her Father had made one final attempt at attacking and defending the empire before he would die in a matter of days. When Japan could no longer see how her father had felt.

She couldn't speak to him, possibly because of something ruining his ability to speak. But his actions at the end were certainly an act of rage at USA.

Japan approached her Father, but as soon as she took a step, Imperial Japan had ran away seemingly fast for his condition, as he was gone after Japan looked at the branch she had stepped on.

Japan, now on the phone with South Korea, took a deep breath and spoke again.

"South Korea, why would I make a joke about him when I know there would be consequences? I only called since you were the closest nearby."
Japan answered.

"But it's absurd? How could an empire from over 70 years ago magically come back to life? That simply just doesn't make sense Japan."

South Korea paused for a moment, perhaps he could visit Japan later on.

"Actually, Japan, how about I go over there and we can try to find him again?" South Korea asks Japan.

Japan ponders on the question, but after a second or two she answers agreeing to him.

Later on, South Korea arrives on Japan, greeted by her as well.

"Japan, it's been a while since we had last met." South Korea says in a calm manner, both of them making a small bow.

"So, I can show you where I had last seen him."
Japan gestures South Korea to follow her, and they enter a steep forest.

As they walk alongside each other, Japan decides to start a conversation.

"Anything new with North Korea?"
She asks as South Korea sighs.

"I still don't have contact with him through the DMZ yet. It's been a couple of years since I last met him. Hopefully he doesn't cause trouble in the future." South Korea answers, observing the ginkgo leaves they pass by.

Japan nodded and continued to walk through the path.

Minutes later,

South Korea, yawning, accidentally bumped into a tree making Japan turn around. Yet her eyes opened as she her hand shook, seeing Imperial Japan behind South Korea with his katana out on not only Korea but Japan as well as he eyed Korea and pointed the sword on Japan.

"It's been a while since I last seen you like this. I know you aren't as strong as you once were. You're too injured and broken."

South Korea finally responds at Imperial's sudden appearance and stares at Imperial Japan's mask, entirely void of emotions as strangely enough, only one hole for his eyes, and even so, his eyes couldn't be seen either as the mask's eye cutout from the outside look, was completely dark and hidden as well.

Japan could see Korea sweating from his hands, clearly frightened and shocked at what he was seeing. She could also observe the amount of shaking her father's arm, that's been holding the sword, has been doing as well. She even found herself having trouble to breathe and comprehend at what she was seeing.

Her father was clearly afraid as well.

Fun Headcanon Facts

- Some people in this fandom may be used to female imperial japan, but in this book he is definitely a guy 👍 (it makes more sense for me, since yk IJ was sexist to woman and did horrible shit with victims of them, just always felt weird to me)

- Imperial Japan before the bombings was viewed as manipulative, charming yet insanely cruel. Imperial after the bombings lost his ability of speech, and his face had basically been "melted." He fought for 3 more days before dying from his wounds.
- Imperial Japan tortured and used Imperial Korea as a puppet, who eventually gave up to him. North and South Korea were stolen of their identity for 30 years.
- Imperial was neglectful of Japan and very strict, but still did have a form of love towards her as his daughter.