Chapter 5-Emma's Birthday

The next day you didn't bother to get out of bed. Instead you decided to wallow in self pity over loving someone who would surly never love you back. Olive came to talk to you and agreed to keep everyone away and bring you food.

This went on for two more days until Miss Peregrine came to see you. "I have good news." She said as she shut the door behind her. "Jake will be coming the day before Emma's birthday.

You covered your head with your blanket, not quite sure why you didn't want her to see you. "That's wonderful."

She was silent for a moment and you wished you could hear what she was thinking. "Why have you been hiding in your room for three days, dear? Your friends refuse to tell me, though they definitely know."

"It's nothing, I'm fine. I've just been pretty tired lately." She let that excuse slide and left.

—————

The day before Emma's birthday, you'd got up to help prepare. Olive had taken Emma into town. And to catch Emma by surprise, and due to Jake's early arrival, the party would be the day before instead of the day of.

Enoch would make the cake. Fiona, Hugh, and Millard would make any other food. The twins and Claire were in charge of decorations. Bronwyn and Horace would wrap gifts. Miss Peregrine would supervise. And you'd greet Jake and make a card.

While you waited for him you drew up an idea for a card to have everyone sign. Though soon there was a knock at the door. When you opened it a young man stood on the doorstep. "Ah, you're the Jake everyone's so excited to see, yes?"

"I am. Where is Miss Peregrine?"

"Overseeing preparations. I'm Y/n, it's a pleasure to meet you." You held out your hand which he took to shake.

"Likewise. May I come in and see everyone?"

"Ah yes, of course." You stepped aside to let him in. He walked around the house greeting everyone, eventually just talking to Enoch and helping him with the cake.

You ended up putting the finishing touches on the card before making it real and walking around to have everyone sign it. "Oh Miss Peregrine, there you are." You found her looking over the decorations in the parlor. "Could you sign this card for Emma?" You held out the card and a pen.

"Yes, of course." She took them, and bent over to use the coffee table as a flat surface to write. You did everything in your power to look everywhere but at her "Y/n." She stood up and held out the card and pen but didn't let go when you went to take them, making you look her in the eyes. "Don't go and lock yourself in your room again when the party is over. I missed talking to you those few days." You just nodded and almost ran away when she let go.

—————

Emma loved the surprise, just as she loved the gifts and dinner. But most of all, she loved Jake. That much was clear. He still had two hollows to track down and kill. He said he'd stay for good when those two were dead. But he'd be staying for one more day for now.

Everyone had a great time. At the end of the night you all played music and danced. Though the only pairs  dancing together were Enoch with Olive and Emma with Jake. Your three best friends, all in love. And here you were, in love with a woman who would never return your feelings.

But the party had to come to an end when it was time for reset and everything would be put back in place. At least there'd be nothing to clean up after.

After reset everyone headed back in. You were about to head through the door when Jake suddenly pushed you inside, ran in, shut and locked the door. Everyone turned to him when they heard you hit the floor. "Ow! What in the-"

"Sh! Emma, get me the crossbow. There's a hollow outside. Olive, Enoch, get the younger ones to the attic." Everyone leaped into action, doing as told. Except for you, who just stood there. Emma brought back the crossbow to Jake and gave you and Miss Peregrine each a kitchen knife, holding one of her own as well. The four of you stood in the parlor. Jake next to Emma and you next to Miss Peregrine. The groups in opposite sides of the room from each other.

You weren't sure who screamed when Miss Peregrine pushed you out of the way when part of the wall came crashing in, landing on her instead. Emma ran over to you and helped you off the floor before bringing you over to hide behind a couch. Jake took a shot and hit it, but not well enough, and needed to reload. Emma left your side and went to stand in a different corner of the room. She threw her knife at the air near where the arrow was floating.

She got a good hit but then it started running over furniture to get to her. So you took a chance and threw your knife as well. It ended up getting stuck in the monster. And it changed its course to you. The couch in front of you lifted up and went flying.

Jake shot at it again. You heard a loud thump when the hollow fell to the ground. At least you thought it did, you couldn't see it. "Is it dead?" Emma was the one to ask.

"It is." You felt a wave of relief, which was quickly replaced by fear.

"Miss Peregrine!" You yelled and stumbled over the invisible body to where the wall had fallen. You frantically tried to lift it but had no luck. "Get Bronwyn!" You yelled to no one in particular. After Emma left you tried and continued to fail to get the wall off your headmistress.

——————

Not me wondering wether or not I should kill her off and ruin Y/n's life...