𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟷.𝟸𝟻

┌──❀*̥˚───❀*̥˚─┐
PARADIS YEAR 850
57th EXPEDITION
└───❀*̥˚───❀*̥˚┘

The sound of carts caught your attention as everyone loaded them up with bodies. You looked to your right to see Mikasa watching over Eren who remained unconscious.

After the fight you, Mikasa and Levi carried him back to the rest of the survey corps who had been waiting for Erens retrieval.

A small nudge on your shoulder took you out of your thoughts as you grabbed a corner of the white fabric before lifting the soldier into the back with the rest of the fallen soldiers, "This is the part I never get used to", Jean grieved as he centered the body.

"No one does", Armin sighed softly looking at the boy with sympathy.

Jean moved his hands to his head in stress, "I can't help but think about how my friends going to die. Or how i'm going to die".

"I try not to dwell on it. If I pictured how I'm going to die, I probably wouldn't be able to fight", Armin advised.

"He's right. You'll just freak yourself out more", You muttered plainly as he looked over at you.

He nodded briefly, "Yeah. You're right."

"Lets just get these guys loaded so we can get the hell out of here", You smiled gently, even though you weren't really in the right headspace.

"You don't have to tell me twice", He grunted, picking up another body as your smile faded.

Please forgive me.

• • • • • • •

It was sometime later as you stood beside the Commander and Levi. Everyone else was with their squads as you walked with the two men. Considering that everyone else in your squad beside Eren was dead you didn't have anywhere else to go.

You finished helping Jean and Armin a couple minutes before Levi called you over to leave, "We're almost done. There were about five dead that we couldn't recover", A soldier informed.

"Not even a part of them?", Erwin questioned with a low frown.

"They're the only ones we couldn't due to the Titans. It's probably best for the families that we not bring those back", The soldier concluded as he looked down with guilt.

Erwin stood there for a second before nodding briskly, "Say they're MIA."

The man nodded, "Yes, sir. We saw several Titans near the forest, but none are headed this way as of yet."

"We're moving out now. Tell all the squads", Erwin ordered before moving away.

Right as the three of you went to take off a young soldier screamed out, "I cannot accept this, Commander Erwin!"

The soldier from before tried to calm the boy down, but was unsuccessful, "We should recover them! Ivan's body was right in front of us!"

"There was a Titan right next to him! It could result in another casualty", The other soldier reasoned.

"If they attack, we can just defeat them", The boy argued.

Another young soldier walked up beside him, "Ivan's an old friend. We're from the same town! I know his parents. If nothing else, I'd like to bring him home!", He confessed.

"Don't be selfish!", The older soldier cried out.

You watched the encounter as Levi let out a small scoff, "Squabbling kids?"