⋇⊰ Chapter 1 ⊱⋇

In the arithmetic of the universe, 129,600 years make one cycle. Each cycle can be divided into 12 phases: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, and XII, the 12 branches. Each phase lasts 10,800 years.

Now within a single day, the positive begins at the time I; at II the cock crows; at III it is not quite light; at IV the sun rises; V is after breakfast; at VI one does business. VII is when the sun reaches noon; at VIII it is slipping towards the West; IX is late afternoon; the sun sets at X; XI is dusk; at XII people settle down for the night.

At the end of Phase XI, Heaven and Earth were still one, and no beings had appeared. 5,400 years later came the beginning of Phase XII, when all was darkness and there were still no people or other creatures; for this reason, it was called Chaos. Another 5,400 years later Phase XII was drawing to a close and a new cycle was about to begin. As Phase I of the new era approached, gradually there was light. As Shao Yong said, "When winter reaches the midpoint of Phase I, the heart of Heaven does not move. Where the positive first appears, nothing has yet come to life."

At this time, Heaven first had a foundation. 5,400 years later, in the middle of Phase I, the light and pure rose upwards, and the sun, moon, stars, and constellations were created. These were called the Four Images.

Another 5,400 years later, when Phase I was nearing its end and Phase II was imminent, things gradually solidified. This was when the earth began to congeal. After 5,400 more years came the height of Phase II, when the heavy and impure solidified, and water, fire, mountains, stone, and Earth came into being. These five were called the Five Movers. Therefore it is said that the Earth was created in Phase II.

After a further 5,400 years, at the end of Phase II and the beginning of Phase III, living beings were created. Heaven was bright and Earth was fresh, and the positive intermingled with the negative. 5,400 years later, when Phase III was at its height, men, birds, and beasts were created. Thus the Three Powers−−Heaven, Earth, and Man−−now had their set places. Therefore it is said that man was created in Phase III.

Moved by Pan Gu's creation, the Three Emperors put the world in order and the Five Rulers laid down the moral code. The world was then divided into four great continents: The Eastern Continent of Superior Body,

the Western Continent of Cattle−gift, the Southern Continent of Jambu, and the Northern Continent of Kuru. Beyond the seas, there is a country called Aolai. This country is next to an ocean, and in the middle of the ocean is a famous island called the Mountain of Flowers and Fruit. This mountain is the ancestral artery of the Ten Continents and the origin of the Three Islands; when the clear and impure were separated and the Enormous Vagueness was divided, the splendid mountain was formed.

There was once a magic stone on the top of this mountain which was 36.5 ft in length and 24 ft in width. On top of it were nine apertures and eight holes, for the Nine Palaces and the Eight Trigrams. There were no trees around it to give shade, but magic fungus and orchids clung to its sides. Ever since Creation began it had been receiving the truth of Heaven, the beauty of Earth, the essence of the Sun, and the splendor of the Moon; as it had been influenced by them for so long, it had miraculous powers. It developed a magic womb, which burst open one day to produce a stone egg about the size of a ball.

When the wind blew on this egg it turned into a stone monkey, complete with five senses and four limbs. When the stone monkey had learned to crawl and walk, he bowed to each of the four quarters. As his eyes moved, two beams of golden light shot towards the Pole Star palace and startled the supreme heavenly sage, Jade Emperor of the Azure Vault of Heaven. He was sitting, surrounded by his immortal ministers on his throne in the Hall of Miraculous Mist in the golden−gated Cloud Palace. When he saw the dazzling golden light, he ordered two officers to open the Southern Gate of Heaven and take a look. The two officers went out through the gate in obedience to the imperial command, and while one observed what was going on the other listened carefully. Soon afterward they reported back: