⋇⊰ Chapter 4 ⊱⋇

The Gold Star of Venus left the depths of the cave with the handsome Monkey King, and they ascended together on their clouds. As Sun Wukong's somersault cloud was exceptionally fast he reached the Southern Gate of Heaven first, leaving the Gold Star of Venus far behind. Just as he was putting away his cloud to go in, his way was barred by the heavenly guardian Virudhaka and his powerful heavenly soldiers Liu, Gou, Bi, Deng, Xin, Zhang, and Tao, who blocked the gate of Heaven with their spears and swords and refused to let him in.

"This old Gold Star of Venus is a trickster," said Sun Wukong. "He invited me here, so he has no business to have me kept out with spears and swords." Just as he was kicking up a row the Gold Star of Venus suddenly arrived.

Sun Wukong flung his accusation at him: "Why did you play this trick on me, you old fogy? You told me you came with an Edict of Amnesty from the Jade Emperor to invite me here, so why did you arrange for these people not to let me in through the gate of Heaven?"

The Gold Star of Venus laughed, "Don't be angry, Your Majesty. You've never been here before, your name is not on the books here, and the heavenly soldiers have never met you. Of course, they could not let you in just for the asking. But when you've seen His Celestial Majesty and been given office among the Immortals, you will be able to come and go as you wish, and nobody will try to stop you."

"Be that as it may," said Sun Wukong, "I'm not going in."

The Gold Star of Venus would not let him go and asked him to go in with him in spite of it all. As they approached the gate, the Gold Star of Venus shouted, "Heavenly officers of the gates of Heaven, sergeants, and soldiers, let us in. This is an Immortal from the lower world, and I am carrying an edict from the Jade Emperor summoning him here."

Only then did the heavenly king Zengzhang and his soldiers withdraw their arms and stand back. Now, the Monkey King began to trust the Gold Star of Venus. He walked slowly in with him and looked at the view.

As it was his first ascent to the heavens, he was in awe. At the sudden entry into paradise, 10,000 beams of golden light shone with a reddish glow and 1,000 strands of propitious vapor puffed out purple mist. As he looked to see the Southern Gate of Heaven, he saw the gates studded with bright, deep green jewels. On either side stood scores of heavenly marshals, tall as the roofbeams, next to the pillars, holding metal−tipped bows and banners. All around stood gods in golden armor, brandishing their clubs, halberds, and wielding their cutlasses and swords. The outside scenery was most remarkable but not as much as inside.

Within the gates were several mighty pillars, long bridges, phoenixes with bright red crests and brilliant plumes, and tawny-bearded dragons with gold scales gleaming in the sun.

In this heaven, there were 33 heavenly palaces: The Palace of Clouds Dispersed, the Vaisravana Palace, the palace of Five Lores, the Sun Palace, the Palace of Flowery Bliss, and every palace had golden animals on its roof.

Then there were 72 precious halls: The Hall of Morning Audience, the Hall of Rising into Space, the Precious Light Hall, the Hall of the Heavenly Kings, and the Hall of the Master of Miracles, all decorated with jade unicorns on every column.

The Gold Star of Venus led the handsome Monkey King to the outside of the Hall of Miraculous Mist. He went straight into the imperial presence without waiting to be summoned and did obeisance to the throne.

Sun Wukong stood bolt upright beside him, not bothering with any court etiquette, but just concentrating on listening to the Gold Star of Venus make his report to the Jade Emperor: "In obedience to the Divine Edict, your subject has brought the demon Immortal here."

The Jade Emperor lowered his curtain and asked, "And which of you is the demon Immortal?"

"Me," replied Sun Wukong, only now making a slight bow.