⋇⊰ Chapter 2 ⊱⋇

After being given a name, the handsome Monkey King jumped for joy and bowed to Subhuti to express his thanks. The Patriarch then ordered the others to take Sun Wukong out through the double doors and teach him how to sprinkle and sweep the floor, answer orders, and deport himself properly. All the Immortals went out in obedience to this command. When Sun Wukong was outside the doors he bowed to all his spiritual elder brothers and laid out his bed on the veranda. The next morning and every following day he studied language and deportment under his spiritual elder brothers, expounded the scriptures, discussed The Way, practiced calligraphy, and burnt incense.

When he had any spare time he would sweep the grounds, dig the vegetable patch, grow flowers, tend trees, look for kindling, light the fire, carry water, and fetch soy. Everything he needed was provided. Thus six or seven years slipped by in the cave without his noticing them. One day the Patriarch took his seat on the dais, called all the Immortals together, and began to explain The Great Way.

Heavenly flowers fell in profusion,

While golden lotuses burst forth from the earth.

Brilliantly he expounded the doctrine of the Three Vehicles,

Setting forth 10,000 Dharmas in all their details.

As he slowly waved his whisk, jewels fell from his mouth,

Echoing like thunder and shaking the Nine Heavens.

Now preaching The Way,

Now teaching meditation,

He showed that The Three Beliefs are basically the same.

In explaining a single word he brought one back to the truth,

And taught the secrets of avoiding birth and understanding one's nature.

As Monkey sat at the side listening to the exposition he was so delighted that he tugged at his ear, scratched his cheek, and smiled. He could not help waving his hands and stamping.

When the Patriarch noticed this he said to Monkey, "Why are you leaping around like a madman in class instead of listening to the lesson?"

"Your disciple is listening to the exposition with all his attention," Monkey replied, "but your marvelous words made me so happy that I started jumping around without realizing what I was doing. Please forgive me."

To this, the Patriarch replied, "If you really understand my marvelous words, then answer this question. How long have you been in my cave?"

"Your disciple was born stupid," Monkey replied, "so I've no idea how long I've been here. All I know is that whenever the fire in the stove goes out I go to the other side of the mountain to collect firewood and there I see a hill covered with fine peach trees. I've had seven good feeds of peaches there."

"That hill is called Tender Peach Hill. If you have eaten there seven times you must have been here seven years. What sort of Way do you want to learn from me?"

"That depends on what you teach me, master. As long as there's a whiff of a way to it, your disciple will learn it."

"There are 360 side−entrances to The Way, and they all lead to a True Result," the Patriarch said. "Which branch would you like to study?"

"I will do whatever you think best, master," replied Monkey.

"What about teaching you The Way of Magic Arts?"

"What does 'The Way of Magic Arts' mean?"

"Magic arts," the Patriarch replied, "include summoning Immortals, using the magic sandboard, and divining by milfoil. With them, one can learn how to bring on good fortune and avert disaster."