2. New Neighbors

Sarahs POV:

i woke up suddenly, sweaty with my heart racing. i collected my thoughts and concluded that i had the dream again. it is a normal thing for me... nightmares from my past. 

my mom knocked on my bedroom door before entering. "good morning sunshine" she said to me as she walked over to my window to open the curtains. "its 11:00, some of our neighbors are coming over to help us unpack. i'd start getting ready." she walked over to me and gave my forehead a kiss. "okay, when will they be here?" i ask wondering how long i have to et ready. "about an hour" she replied. "okay ill get ready and come down later, are they eating lunch here?" "yup" she said. "were ordering a pizza so we don't have to do too much." "kay" i said getting up out of bed and walking to my closet. "see you in a few" mom says walking out of my room, giving me privacy to change.

i pull down my pants in front of the mirror, and immediately see the many small-ish cuts on my thighs an hips. i sigh knowing one day i have to reach out to someone. I've never told anyone about my home life. not even my old friends. my parents know about my sister, obviously, thats why she's been in the hospital before. twice. once for 2 months, once for 8 months. she's getting better, its been six years since she went last, but were still always very cautious. i never knew the reason or reasons why she hurt herself. but when Celia was in the hospital, thats when i started... cutting, and burning. i remember one day i was riding the bus home from school one day, and saw my sister so i sat next to her. when i sat she looked over and smiled at me, so i smiled back but something black caught my eye a little lower. to my surprise, two sets of stitches in her right forearm. my stomach did flops, and tears filled my eyes. when we got home, i locked myself in my room and sobbed until the next day came.

Time jump - 50 minutes

"hey love, are you about ready? they are headed over." my mom asked as she knocked on my door, but didn't open it. i had just finished doing my makeup. "yeah, ill be right down." i wanted to wait until they got here to come down, because i didn't want to seem too exited, like waiting at the door for them to arrive. i had never met the neighbors personally, but my mom had somehow gotten the ladies number. apparently the woman was named Mary Lou, and she had four sons, a set of triplets and an older son. the triplets were like a year or something older than me, which wasn't too bad. i just sat around for a little while doing anything to pass the time. 

"Sarah!" my mom called for me. "they're here!" "coming, just a second!" i yelled as i just sat there for a minute longer, taking my sweet time. i got up and started walking down the stairs. i heard two similar voices, one was pretty happy, and the other was deeper, and tiny bit more masculine. i heard another woman speaking to my mom. 

i walked down to the bottom step, and froze "oh god" i mumbled to myself. i forgot that i hadn't talked to anyone new at all. i had lived in Maine my whole life, and grew up with the same people. i got really anxious for a minute, but reminded myself to take deep breaths. it made me feel a little better, and i got enough courage to go up to the woman, Mary Lou. "Hi there, i'm Mary Lou, but you can call me Mary." Mary was very kind hearted, she gave me a big hug and she had the brightest smile. "these are my boys," she points back to the three boys sitting on my couch. one of them got up right away and said, "hey, i'm nick!" the other two laughed a little bit before speaking. they both slightly waved at me, "i'm Chris," "i'm Matt." "hey, i'm Sarah" i said nervously. "your mom said we could all hang out in your room, only if you want to though" nick said politely. "sure, come on up" i said motioning my hand towards the stairs.

Matts POV:

when Sarah came down the stairs, the first thing i noticed about her was her hand tapping her side, i don't think she even realized she was doing it, but it looked like she was anxious. i introduced my self to Sarah right after nick and Chris did. next thing i know, i'm following Nick and Chris and her up to her room. it was clean, it didn't have much stuff in it, but thats because  she had just moved. she had a desk with makeup and stuff on it, her bed was made, and she had one of those celling swings too. 

"you can really do anything you want, sit anywhere." she said a few moments before Chris sat in the celling swing, and nick sat on her bed, so i sat at her desk. there was a drawer that was sort of open, and something reflected the light of the sun through her window in my eye. i looked down, putting my hand on the knob to try and close it. but something caught my eye before it was fully shut. it was shiny but i couldn't make out what it was, and i didn't want to snoop, so i just forgot about it.

we had all been talking for a while, nick mostly. Sarah and nick bonded pretty fast, Chris was being annoying as usual, but she was laughing a lot. i could tell Sarah was shy, by how she kept her sentences short, and kept looking down. she was really pretty, and it didn't look like she knew it. i didn't talk to her much, but i really wanted to be her friend. that probably couldn't happen without talking. she looked over at me once or twice with a kind smile, but that was it. lunch came around sooner or later and we got some pizza. 

"whats your favorite food Sarah?" nick asked abruptly. "i don't know, theres a lot." "i guess but if you had to choose one food, what would it be?" Chris asked. "i guess McDonalds fries, i dunno" Sarah said shyly. "same" i said munching on my pizza including myself for the first time. she smiled at me again, and i smiled back. she seems really nice. 

lunch was over and nick had invited Sarah over to our house for the night. "if it's fine with everybody else, i guess so sure." she answered nick. "let me go ask my mom." she added on. Sarah got up from her bed and went downstairs to ask her mom. "she's really nice" nick said "she's my new number one." Chris got his phone out and started scrolling on some app. 

i remembered  that i had seen something in the desk drawer. i didn't think, i just pulled open the drawer. what i saw surprised me. cotton swabs, bandaids, and Neosporin, along with a razor blade somewhat hidden under a few cotton swabs. i heard footsteps so i closed the drawer. nick and Chris just thought i was fooling around with the desk because they were too focused on their phones. 

Sarah walked in the room with a smile on her face. "my mom said its fine." "yay! maybe we could go over to the house now and go swimming" Chris suggested while shutting off his phone. i watched Sarah's smile quickly fade away. a confused expression grew on my face. she glanced over at my face and quickly fake smiled again. "Maybe, or we could find something else." she said with a shaky voice. i was still confused, maybe she just had a bad experience in the water or something? i don't know. but we all agreed to just watch a movie instead of swimming.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUTHORS NOTE:

i hope you liked seeing matts perspective on things... will he find out sooner? or later? i appreciate you reading my first story :) ily all - tysm <3