American History: Post-Civil War People & Challenges

Disclaimer: Please remember, I provide these essays to you as an outline for your own. Plagiarism, using one's work as your own, can have severe consequences. There are many tools integrated into teaching software that can detect plagiarism. It's also as easy as plugging in one sentence into Google to find this essay. I want these to be available to all those that may need an outline or inspiration for their own assignments, however, I know some have used my work and have been caught. Please, don't just copy and paste my work and earn yourself a zero on the essay or fail your class. Thank you for reading and I truly hope that these essays will help. Good luck! If you ever need a peer reviewer for your essay, message me!

This was my first time writing a history paper in college. For reference, the specific class was "People of the US from 1865" (HIST 018). This paper was written in Chicago Style, using footnotes for citations, and has been adapted for Wattpad. Additionally, some information has been excluded from my professor's lecture citations to not reveal my physical location.

"Answer the following questions in a written essay using and citing material from primary source documents, jstor.org, your textbook, and lectures:

Lincoln, Grant, and Carnegie each faced a challenge to individual liberty. What challenge did each man face and how did they each try to meet that challenge?"

If you'd like some more information on the topic/purpose of this essay, leave a comment!

Grade: 73% (I forgot to use a resource from jstor.org)

Various leaders within America experienced pressure from society during and following the Civil War. Notably, presidents Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant faced political challenges surrounding slavery and civil rights. And, as a result of the massive economic growth post-Civil War, Andrew Carnegie faced social challenges stemming from wealth disparity in America. Each of these political and industry leaders had different approaches to meeting these challenges: Lincoln reiterated America's purpose as a nation; Grant enforced laws fairly; Carnegie opted to indulge in philanthropy.

Throughout his time as president, Abraham Lincoln called back to the Declaration of Independence as a source of power when reiterating the purpose of the nation and the United States government. Lincoln propagated the idea that it was not the Constitution or the government that resulted in the nation's success rather it was the "principle of 'Liberty to all,'" expressed in the Declaration of Independence, that allowed for their prosperity. Furthermore, he pressed that the Constitution and resulting nation, though valuable, were made to preserve the ideals in the Declaration of Independence (1). At the time, Lincoln faced challenges from states concerning slavery. Although leaders in favor of slavery and secession, such as Alexander H. Stephens, vehemently opposed the ideals of the founding fathers (2), Abraham Lincoln continued to advocate that the ideals expressed within the Declaration of Independence effectively act as the establishment and foundation of the United States (3).

Ulysses S. Grant, a Civil War hero turned president, supported the preservation of black civil rights in post-Civil War America by enforcing the law equally throughout the nation (4). Grant's terms as president immediately followed Andrew Johnson's unsuccessful term in office, and so he was a proponent used to advance the Fifteenth Amendment (5). Furthermore, in his inaugural address, Grant advocated for "security of person, property, and free religious and political opinion in every part of [the] common country, without regard to local prejudice," and he stated that he'd enforce all of the laws to secure those ends for the American people (6). In the midst of reconstruction and pushback from the southern states, Grant, from the beginning of his presidency, established that his first priority was the protection of rights for all people, not just the newly freed, but everyone in the nation (7).

Although a businessman, Andrew Carnegie faced social pressures throughout the economic boom following the Civil War, eventually finding his solution through philanthropy. In his article "Wealth," Carnegie addressed the social changes and wealth inequality throughout the nation that was spurred by the massive economic growth they experienced (8). Despite the growing gap between people like himself and his workers, he welcomed it and stated, "Much better this great irregularity than universal squalor" (9). However, Carnegie continued in his article that those like himself hold a surplus of wealth that could be disposed of or organized. He offers three solutions: leaving the money to family, to the government, or to others for public purposes (10). Carnegie lands on the final solution of philanthropy and stated it's the "true antidote for the temporary unequal distribution of wealth" .

Different liberties were challenged in the years surrounding the American Civil War. During that time, Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses S. Grant, and Andrew Carnegie faced challenges to civil rights and wealth inequality. Although they each experienced different pressures, all of them fought for the liberty of the people of the United States.

(1) Abraham Lincoln, "Fragment on the Constitution and Union" (1861)

(2) Alexander H. Stephen, "'Corner Stone' Speech," (March 21, 1861)

(3) Stephen Tootle, "History 18 Module 2 Movie" (lecture)

(4) Stephen Tootle, "History 18 Module 2 Movie" (lecture)

(4) Wilfred M. McClay, Land of Hope (New York, Encounter Books, 2019), 308

(5) Ulysses S. Grant, "Inaugural Address" (March 4, 1869)

(6) Stephen Tootle, "History 18 Module 2 Movie" (lecture)

(7) Andrew Carnegie, "Wealth" (North American Review, 1889), 1

(8) Ibid.

(9) Ibid., 3

(10) Ibid., 5