3

——————————————————————

2 weeks later, once again (the present!)

We made our way towards the area where the black van was once parked. Oddly enough, the van seemed severely similar, but I pushed the thoughts to the back of my head as Gwen spoke, "Are you guys excited for school? It starts in a week!" she spoke excitingly, walking backwards to face us.

"Most definitely not," we all spoke in unison causing all of us to burst out laughing. "I get why Finney and Robin don't wanna go, but why don't you Maxine?" she asked, turning around and walking forwards once again.

"New school with new, shitty people? No thank you," I scoffed. Finney turned around to look towards Robin and I, eyeing us slightly before speaking, "you're right, there's a lot of dickwads there."

"Yeah? Well I think Maxine's going to fit in pretty well! She's already caught the attention of Amy's brother," Gwen spoke, looking at Finney.

"Amy Yamada?" Finney questioned, earning a nod from Gwen. "Bruce Yamada's younger sister?" Robin spoke up, dropping his arm from my shoulder.

"Yeah?" Gwen replied questioningly, looking at both of the boys. "Who?" I asked, leaving Robin's side and making my way next to Gwen as Finney made his way towards Robin, taking my place. "Remember the boy you ran into when we went to the Grab N' Go together?"

"Oh my god, the total Casanova? God, he was so cute!" I replied, earning a laugh from Gwen and a few scoffs from behind us.

I turned around, making my way between both of the boys and putting my arms across their shoulders. "Don't worry babes, you'll always have my heart," I joked before pecking both of their cheeks and ruffling their hair. Gwen and I took off in a sprint, down to her house as they chased after us, yelling.

———————————☏--------------------------

"Finn, I seriously don't know how you find this scary," Robin spoke as he laughed at his best friend. We were currently watching the exorcist, bad idea. Finney was terrified. "Because I've never seen something so gruesome in my life!" Finney replied.

"I have!" Gwen spoke, "have you guys ever seen Maxine when she first wakes up?" "Oh shut up Gwen! I'm just not a morning person!" We all laughed, keeping our attention on the TV screen. The priest scene soon came on and Finney immediately jumped up onto his feet, quickly making his way towards the TV and switching it off.

"Finney!" "Finn!" "Come onnn!" We all shouted in unison, earning an annoyed look from Finney. "I'm sorry! I just hate horror films," he spoke, making his way towards the kitchen.

"He's such a chicken," Gwen semi-whispered towards Robin and I. "I can hear you! I'm not deaf!" Finney shouted from the kitchen, causing all of us to let out hearty laughs.

"Hey uh, dad's gonna be home any minute. He'll flip if he finds out we have friends over without his permission," Finney's voice rang throughout the house.

"Oh my god, he's right! It's already 11:03," Gwen spoke, jolting up onto her feet. I stood up, extending my arm out to Robin. He grabbed onto my hand as I helped pull him up.

"We'll start heading out then," Robin spoke as I let go of his hand and hugged Gwen. "I'll see you tomorrow, Gwenny," I smiled as she wrapped her arms around me too. "See ya tomorrow," she spoke, letting go of me.

Finney made his way back to the living room, giving Robin a quick hug and said his goodbyes before making his way over to me.

"I hope to see you tomorrow," he smiled, leaning in for a hug. "You will, don't worry Finney boy," I smiled as I made my way into his arms.

We hugged for a few seconds before I slipped my arms off of his shoulders, looking into his eyes and smiling before he let go. "My house?" I questioned all three of them, earning eager nods. 

"Tell Danny we said hi," Finney spoke as Robin and I made our way towards the front door. "Will do," I smiled as I turned around.

"Alright, bye you guys," I spoke as we made our way out of the door, Robin and I quickly running across the street, giggling. Robin quickly grabbed onto my hand as a car pulled up behind us.

I'm guessing it was Mr. Blake considering Robin had whispered "act normal and keep your head down" to me, trying to make it seem as if we were never in his house in the first place.

We could hear him pull up into the driveway as we made our way down the street, hand in hand. We stopped a street down, as I slipped my hand out of his.

"God, your hands are so clammy," I joked, rubbing my own hand onto my shorts. "It's not mine!" he argued as he rubbed his onto his tank top. "Yours are ALWAYS clammy though!" I replied grabbing onto his right hand and lifting it up. "See?"

"It happens when I'm nervous!" he spoke, embarrassed. He immediately retrieved his hand back, rubbing it onto his shirt, once again. I laughed at his flustered face before grabbing onto his hand once more, smiling at him as we started to walk once more.

"Finney's rocket was pretty cool, huh?" I questioned as we walked down the semi-lit street. "Yeah, but I was hoping he'd show us it in action," he retorted. I let out a small laugh until something caught my eye.

We walked next to a lamppost that had a missing kid flyer taped up, "Griffin Stagg, 13 year old missing boy. If you have any information that could help us find him, contact the DPD." I stopped abruptly in front of the poster, letting go of Robin's hand. He walked over next to me curiously to be met with what I was staring at.

"He's been missing for a while now," he spoke up, sadness lingering in his voice. "Did you know him?" I questioned, looking back at the boy's fragile features in the photo. "Sadly not," he spoke, before gripping onto my shoulder.

"Are you scared?" I questioned. "Of?" he replied as I directed my attention towards the boy's photo. "Oh." he spoke, before continuing on, "I think everyone is, none of us know our fate. C'mon, let's start heading to your house."

I slowly shook my head as he led the way. I was in all honesty scared out of my mind, I don't know what I'd do if Danny was taken. I'd much rather have it be me than him.

If only she knew.

AN~ This is a very short filler chapter, just so the story doesn't automatically jump into...stuff. Next chapter will involve Maxine's first day of school, so that's cool. I won't be following the plot of The Black Phone for quite a few chapters, just so there's more of a build up and bond made between each character!