Chapter 5

The sound of water and the castle slightly shaking told me he was getting ready for a bath. I sat up, Takashi in my arm while I gently pulled the curtain back.

"Is Howl back?" I asked Calcifer, pretending I didn't hear their earlier conversation.

"Yes." Calcifer scoffed as he grabbed another log. "He's wasting all my hot water again." He then bit down on the log like a sandwich.

Since I was up, I decided to get ready for the day. I closed the curtain and changed into my miko garbs and hung up my nightgown. I folded the blanket nicely and placed it onto the back of the couch. I placed the pillows down on each end of the couch. I placed Takashi down as well, letting him sleep a little more. I picked up some logs and placed them near Calcifer. I quietly counted how many were left before we needed to refill once more.

Once Markl and Takashi were finally awake, we decided to go out into Porthaven to get some groceries. Markl was dressed in his old man disguise.

"I don't know why we're doing this." Markl whined as we left the house. I was carrying the big picnic basket and used my cane. Takashi was standing beside me while Markl shut the door. "Master Howl hardly eats anything."

"Too bad." I smiled.

"Good morning." An elderly gentlemen greeted and lifted his hat.

"Good morning." I bowed my head as I greeted back. We slowly made our was to the port early market. "Don't you love early morning markets? And just look at the water!" I smiled as I glanced at the ocean. "I've never seen the ocean this beautiful."

"It always look like that." Markl sighed.

The sellers at the market shouted about their products while some people chatted to each other. Some people were batering prices about certain things. I decided to go and start with the heavier stuff. I put potatoes, beans, onions, carrots, broccoli, cabbage and tomatoes into the basket.

"Hmm. I hate potatoes." Markl grunted in his deep voice.

"Oh quit your whining. It's because you haven't tried them properly spiced. Now pay up." I scolded the boy. "Thanks, have a nice day."

"Thank you, come again." The grocer said as Markl paid the man. I went over to the fisher, looking at his wares for today. I examined them for fogging of the eyes, how wide the fish mouths were open, the smell and how the looked over all.

"All our fish was caught fresh this morning." The fisher told me.

"Hmm, I hate fish." Markl grunted.

"Stop being so picky." I scolded him. He was like my son and daughter. I grabbed a couple of fish and had the fisher properly package it. Markl paid the man. "Thanks, have a nice day."

"Thank you, come again." The fisher called.

We bought a sack of rice, sugar, flour and bread crumbs, I placed those into my storage space. We went to the butcher next. We grabbed some sausages, bacon, and some meat for meals. Then the farm stand, grabbing some eggs, butter, milk, cheese and fruits. And lastly, the baker, grabbing some loafs of bread. Takashi was holding the heavy stuff while Markl carried the fish. We just finished coming out of the bakery when some of the people started running and shouting. I was carrying the cheese, bread and milk in another basket Takashi made with his fox magic.

"One of our ships in the harbor!" A man yelled.

"It looks like it's on fire." Another exclaimed.

"Looks like there's been a serious battle." Another man stated.

"What happened?" A nearby stall seller exclaimed.

"The ship, it's sinking." Another shouted.

My eye sight shifted out to where the ship was coming in. The bells were ringing and they were blowing the horn, sending a distress signal. Many of the fishermen in their boats left to go help the sailors that were jumping over board to get away from the burning vessel.