Chapter 4

• 4 •
_________________________________

Kiara carefully crept up the stairs, taking a deep breath before opening Paisley's door. The sight of Paisley hunched over her bathroom counter made Kiara's heart ache

" Hey- you okay? " She asked softly

She got her answer when Paisley turned to meet her eye, the small trail of tears streaming down her face indicating that no- she was not okay.

" I don't even know why I care... I mean it's Rafe! Of course he thinks someone has to be insane to want to be with me but Jesus Kie! I just- what's so wrong with me? "

Kiara quickly made her way over to Paisley, taking her friends hands in her own " Nothing! Like you said it's Rafe! In twenty minutes he'll apologize and so will you! That's how you guys work... you fight to makeup to fight ten minutes later "

" I hate that he knows about my parents and I hate that he's the reason everyone else knows too... I hate that- I hate having it thrown in my face every two minutes "

" Well to be fair you do that to him too- not saying it's not provoked but sometimes you're two sides of the same coin and I get that it's just what you guys do but you can't expect him to stop if you don't " she explained as she carefully lead her over to her bed to sit down

" I know you're right but why does he have to ruin everything? Things were going so well "

" what even started this? "

" He asked about stupid fucking Dylan! Apparently I should be grateful that anyone would even be interested in " someone like me " - whatever the fuck that means "

" Yeah wait what the fuck? Someone like you? Does he mean someone ANYONE should be lucky to be able to know? Let alone date? "

Paisley laughed through her tears " You're a really good friend you know that? "

" For you? Always... I don't know what's been going on between the two of you lately but I don't want to see you get hurt "

" What do you mean by that? "

" I don't know... something just seems different and I'm not judging you or weighing in if you happen to like him- I'm just telling you to be careful okay? "

Paisley laughed bitterly " if I ever fucking like him shoot me because then you'll know I've truly lost it- I could NEVER like someone who goes through life treating everyone like shit- like they are beneath him and don't matter "

" Pais you don't mean that " Kie said

" No Kiara I do! I hate how he treats Sarah and all our friends, I hate how the littlest things I do set him off in fact I hate everything about him from the way he talks to the way he plays with that stupid fucking ring when he's nervous! everything he does lights a fire of rage I- "

" okay okay I get it " Kiara mumbled with her hands raised in surrender but one thing had been made abundantly clear

Paisley paid attention to Rafe.

" Are you ready to go back downstairs? "

Paisley hesitantly nodded, not feeling up to the day that laid out in front of her " Yeah- let's go "

By the time the two of them made their way back downstairs they noticed that everyone else had arrived and were talking with their respective friend groups.

Paisley let her eyes scan the room before they locked with Rafe's- one things for sure.

If looks could kill Paisley Summers would be dead.