reviewing nayeon's solo debut

hi everyone! today i will be reviewing nayeon's solo debut with her self-titled album "im nayeon".

track: pop!

rating: 7.5/10

comments: i think was the perfect title track for her, it matches her aura and is a great summer song. the dance was really cool, too and i enjoyed all the stages (i wish she would've gotten to sing live but i didn't expect that obviously since she was still recovering from covid). the music video was absolutely gorgeous. however, it is very repetitive and, while still having elements of nayeon's/twice's sound, kind of "tik tok-y". overall, pretty solid but not my favorite song on the album.

track: no problem (feat. felix of stray kids)

rating: 9/10

comments: what an amazing summer song!! it has a hype vibe but in a very relaxed, clean way (if that makes any sense). i really enjoyed felix's feature as well. it's not a very complicated song but it serves its purpose well and adds to the album. i wish they would've added a high note to the last chorus, and not because i'm one of those people who thinks high notes are necessary or mean you're more talented (check out my opinion essay on high notes and high voice parts in kpop and choral singing!!). i think the song structure was really building to it and it would've added an extra punch for the last chorus.

track: love countdown (feat. wonstein)

rating: 10/10

comments: when i tell you this song is perfect omgggg *ahem* anyways... this song is a breath of fresh air. their voices work together so nicely and match the vibe of song perfectly. it's such a refreshing summer love song <3 also for some reason i always want to drink lemonade when i hear this song??

track: candyfloss

rating: 9/10

comments: this song has the same cutesy vibe as pop! but they sound very different, and i enjoy this one more. i really love the beat and instrumentals, they work well with the concept of the song and nayeon's vocals. it reminds me a lot of candy from formula of love, which i also really like. like pop!, it can get a bit repetitive but overall its a very fun song!

track: all or nothing

rating: 6/10

comments: this song has a very calm vibe and i still like it but it's definitely not my favorite on the album. the beat isn't my favorite, the rhythm it follows feels a bit awkward with the flow of the singing, which is kind of distracting to me.

track: happy birthday to you

rating: 8.5/10

comments: this song also has a very calm vibe but it builds more than all or nothing. it has a more crisp but less distracting beat. the chorus is definitely my favorite part, it makes me feel like i'm sitting in the sun by the pool. overall, super relaxing and enjoyable.

track: sunset

rating: 5.5/10

comments: this is the on mandatory slow song on every kpop mini album lmao T-T anyways, it's not bad. it has an okay vibe but it doesn't really go anywhere. i love the orchestral instrumentals around 00:25-00:50, but we don't hear a lot of those prominently anywhere else in the song, which i was disappointed about.

overall rating: 7.9/10

overall vibes: cute, fun, relaxing, nice summer album