stray kids maxident review

i'm super late to the party but i couldn't just let my ults go without a review, especially with this quality album <3

song: case 143

rating: 7/10

comments: i think this song is a great way to start off the album. i've seen people saying that it's sort of like maniac but it builds more, and i agree. i think the production and vision of this song are objectively better than maniac. it has a great baseline, the chorus really builds and feels very powerful, and has a more conclusive ending. however, i personally still like maniac better. it's mildly campy and funny, although the lyrics can get a bit cringey ("can i be your boyfriend?" i'm looking at you). overall, it's pretty good, but no where near their best title track.

song: chill

rating: 6/10

comments: for a song that's called chill, it doesn't feel very chill lol. i like this song, the piano is a beautiful addition to the instrumental and adds something special to the track, and i always love songs written by han. however, my personal vision for this song is different from how it was executed. the vocals tend to make the song feel fast and a bit rushed in my opinion. i think the song would have been better if it was slower, used more of the piano instrumental, and was less processed.

song: give me your tmi

rating: 10/10

comments: this is classic stray kids music to me: heavy baseline, fun and/or shouty vocals, a cool rap, some crazy ad libs and background noises, and a very catchy chorus. the bridge is giving ghostbusters for some reason, but i'm not mad. it's interesting and fast-paced and just makes me feel really energized and happy. 

song: super board

rating: 7.5/10

comments: this pairs really well with case 143 - it has the same campy, unserious, fun vibes. i do like this song better than case 143, though. the opening baseline immediately piqued my interest, and i was glad to see it reappear in the chorus. this song has a lot of good ups and downs. is it the most lyrically complex or best song on this album? definitely not, but i always have a good time listening to it! 

song: 3racha

rating: 8/10

comments: MY BOYS SPITTIN FACTS THEY'RE LOCKED AND LOADED ... anyways ... this song reminds me of skz's pre-debut days (pre-debut 3racha is my jam). they really went feral on this track and i love that for them. it's overproduced but in the best way possible. my only complaint is the airhorn (i really like the siren but the airhorn sounding one at the beginning of the chorus is a bit much for me). 

song: taste

rating: 11/10

comments: this is such a major, major slay. danceracha songs always slap. felix is having his vocalist moment, which i love. they all sound so good on this track, i can't even. minho is now the official main vocalist of danceracha because did you hear that man??? the way he delivers the chorus is just *chef's kiss*. the song just feels like cool silk sheets, i don't know if that makes any sense. it's red lights hotter older sister and i stan it for that. the beat drop is so good, the vocals are so good, the production is so good. it's definitely my favorite song on this album.

song: can't stop

rating: 4.5/10

comments: this song has brought me down from my taste high. it's not bad, just generic. i love rock, but this just fell flat for me. the instrumental feels a bit distorted. also, the boys sort of feel like they're fighting with it (maybe it's the mixing?). it's a cute song and it fits seungmin and jeongin's vibe for sure, but it just can't compare to most of other songs on this album.

song: circus (korean ver.)

rating: 7/10

comments: i like the original (japanese) version better, but it's not bad. i wish they would have put mixtape: time out on here instead of this track, though. it would've fit with can't stop more. i absolutely love the original version of circus (it's a very solid 9/10) so this version gets a point or two off but it's still good.

-----------BONUS ROUND-----------

song: mixtape: time out

rating: 8.5/10

comments: it did what can't stop couldn't. it's a fun summer rock song, and i personally think it's skz's best rock songs. it's just cute and fun, nothing more, nothing less. also the music video made my entire month <3

overall album rating: 7.72/10