Chapter 19: Deus Ex Machina

"The little pups have walked right into our trap," Lulu snickered. Her coconspirators continued to stand around us, cracking their knuckles and showing their hideous teeth. Lulu's smile was even larger than usual if that was at all possible. She began pacing around our small group, reveling in what some outside observers might call our fear. "So predictable. One of you is put in harm's way, and the rest of you come running. Did any of you think to come up with a plan beforehand? No matter. Even if you had, your plan wouldn't have been very good. We have you cornered, once and for all. There's no escaping this time. With you out of the way, we'll be able to finally capture that green-sweatered bufo and exact our own vengeance."

"No!" I cried out. "You're wrong!"

"Wrong you say? Oh dear me, what could I be wrong about? Please enlighten me, oh sir William."

I looked around. Things were looking bleak. Terrible in fact. I thought of Eli telling me that we true wolves would always look out for one another. I thought of Genevieve assembling the wolf-moot, bringing us all together to avenge me. This entire trip, everything that Eli, Asher, Mr. Rodgers, and Kai had done, was all because I had been insulted. Even the puppies, still clinging to Red, and their guardian Summer, had jumped to help us. I always thought of myself as a proud creature, and I still am, but I was beginning to see that some of my strength came from being surrounded by caring people. Eli, my brother, who in every conceivable version of this story would always be by my side, even if I insulted him as younger siblings are wont to do. Mr. Rodgers, my old grumpy neighbor who was probably too old for a quest like this, never liked me, and decided to help out (in his own way of course) anyway. Kai, the warrior, who lent her skills to the group, fighting on our behalf, and making sure we were always in sight of our goal. I wish we hadn't left the house without her. And finally, Asher, the adorable red furred wolf from the west. They spoke up at the wolf-moot when no one else would. And they did so so elegantly. So cutely.

How this helped us now, I didn't know.

I repeated myself. "You're wrong. Us coming here to rescue Mr. Rodgers isn't a weakness. It's a strength."

Mr. Rodgers would have smiled, but for all the praise I just showered upon him, it is still fair, even if a bit hypocritical, to reaffirm his complete and utter lack of a heart.

"A strength?" drawled Lulu. "William, dear, you do realize that you and your friends have all been captured. The chase is over. It wasn't much of a chase to begin with. Your pathetic quest is at an end. It's time to step aside and let us actual wolves take over."

Of course, Eli had to interject. "Sorry, we're actually the true wolves. According to the laws set by the 78th wolf-moot during the year of the big freeze, it's mandatory for all members of our society to ensure that outsiders know we are the true wolves, not you." The rest of the group yipped at our captors, showing them just how ferocious we could be.

It appeared that Lulu was nearing the end of her patience. The amusement still appeared on most of her face, but her eyes seemed to lose their humor. "Eli, William, stop living in denial. This is silly. Wolves? I don't care what you come up with in your silly meetings; you'll never be wolves. You'll only ever be lowly, cowardly, smelly, weak, coyotes."

"Who are you calling coyotes?" Asher said, puffing out their chest, speaking with more confidence than I would have thought possible back when I met them all those days ago.

"You, little pup. All of you."

We spent the entirety of our lives learning about how so many other species, humans included, overlooked us. Wolves commanded respect. They were feared. People told stories about them. They were an essential part of thousands of myths. Entire governments discussed their movements, their actions, and planned accordingly. People reacted to wolves. We were ignored.