Part 8: Motherly Warmth

"I'm lonely," Clementine whispered.

The witch crouched beside her.

"I miss her so much" Clementine sighed and began twisting a loose thread on her skirt on her finger. "I miss her cooking in the kitchen and me playing as her little helper. Her laughter when I crack a joke that I know isn't funny enough, but still she'd laugh." She sighed. "I miss those nights where I lay on her arms while she tells me a story, especially that story about a mermaid who fell in love with a sailor. And also, I miss those stormy nights where she'd run into my room and stay with me, because I was scared of the thunder."

The witch smiled sympathetically, but before she could even say a word, a distant calling got both of their attention.

"Clementine!" a woman from a distance called while running towards them.

The woman dropped her suitcase on the ground and threw her arms around little Clementine, lifting her from the ground

The woman dropped her suitcase on the ground and threw her arms around little Clementine, lifting her from the ground. "My child!" she cried.

"I know mother, my face is gone. All I ever wanted was to be b-beautiful like you." Clementine replied, "If I'm beautiful, people will love me, just like how they love you," she added.

Alas, the floodgates her mother was trying to keep shut the whole time burst open.

"I had to be strong for us my child, that is why I chose to hide my face behind these powder and colors," her mother replied, her voice shaky from suppressed tears.

"I thought I was doing well in raising you by providing all the things you need, but then I have missed something," Grace sighed and set Clementine back to her feet, "Since the disappearance of your papa while he was sailing in the depths of the dark ocean, I knew that I had to stand for the both of us to survive, I may have given you all of the things that you need, but I failed to give you the warmth you need. I'm sorry my Clementine." She said, dearly holding Clementine's hand.

"I had no idea mama that you are just in the same page as mine, I thought you were always happy." Clementine said between sobs.

"Just like I thought you were my child. People pretend they are happy or strong, not with the intention to fool others, but with the intention to give them a reassurance that everything is going to be alright."

"But why mama?"

"As a parent, I want you to be solid and steady---I want you to be a strong woman when you grow up, and as your mother I would like to set myself as a good example for that. But pretending is not always good, let me tell you a story about a pretentious sailor."

Hearing that made Clementine's eyes sparkle and rung awake the sleeping bells on her chest.