Billboard Interview

Blackpink's Emiy Talks Her Solo Debut, Close Celebrity Friends, And More

Blackpink's Emiy talked about her successful solo debut in a recent interview with Billboard!

On August 2nd, the younger member of BLACKPINK released her first solo mini album "XOXO" along with the music video for the title track "Dumb Dumb" and "XOXO". Emiy shared, "It was always fun and enjoyable when working with the members, so it's boring working alone. It was really nice eating with the members together, so it feels boring and empty to be alone. But all the members come and send a support me everyday, so I felt less lonely and I feel like they are with me too." Emiy excitedly told us about her members, "Jisoo unnie and Rosé unnie come on the first day, then Jennie unnie send me a coffee and snacks trucks, then they all come together like almost everyday one of them will come. So I'm really thankful for having them with me."

The artist talked about showcasing her diverse colors in order to make up for the missing synergy effect that was created when she performed with the members. Emiy revealed that she had participated in many stages of the album's production, helping to write the lyrics for all her songs "Dumb Dumb"، "XOXO" and "Anymore".

The interview also had fun questions asking Emiy what she would rather pick from two different choices. The artist shared that she would rather work part-time at a bingsu (shaved ice dessert) store during a heat wave than at a bakery that produces 100 trays of bread a day. She explained that it's difficult to work in a bakery. Between variety shows and acting, Emiy picked variety shows, but she also shared that she would like to try an acting because of shooting music video, she already use to acting. She explained, "I was able to act naturally and comfortably because it was acting showcased through expressions and movements, not words."

Due to her extreme love for sashimi, Emiy shared that she would rather eat French fries with red chili pepper paste and vinegar than sashimi with ketchup. The usual food combinations are the other way around. Sashimi with red chili pepper paste and French fries with ketchup. She even mentioned that she loves sashimi so much that she told her mom she would marry a chef who make a great sashimi when she was young. Emiy added, "That's still valid."

The artist commented that she would rather forget the choreography than the lyrics while performing a song because she could still pretend to dance. She shared that she would rather star in MBN's "I Am a Natural Person" than Mnet's "Show Me the Money" because she enjoys nature programs and because she don't like a survival show. As a game fanatic, Emiy picked Maple Story over Tales Runner. She added that she recently downloaded The Sims but quit, especially due to her busy lifestyle preparing for her solo debut.

Finally, Emiy shared that she would rather live her whole life in close proximity with a friend 24/7 than live life without a single friend. She explained, "I can't get used to doing something alone, so I want to be together with someone." Mentioning TWICE's Chaeyoung and Tzuyu as a close friend, Emiy shared, "I personally share my concerns with them the most. They listens a lot to my worries, and they're a friends I frequently meet up with privately."