Epilogue 1

2 years later...

"Surprise!" The crowd of Selena's closest family and friends yelled out jumping in her backyard with lights flashing and streamers popping out.

Jumping in place, she held a hand over her heart and mouth agape in shock.

"Happy Birthday Mi Vida," Silas hummed with a smile in her ear as she turned to him. Family soon surrounding the both of them.

So, this is why he's been so sneaky the last couple months. He was planning all this. From the catered food to the fancy decor displayed in the large yard to their entire families being there. Selena had never planned much when it came to her birthday and for him to go out of his way to make it special meant so much to her. It's not every day you turn 36.

"Thank you," Selena whispered wiping the tear that fell down her face quickly.

Silas laughed kissing her head before pushing her into the arms of their family. As her closest girlfriends were hugging her tightly along with his sisters and her sister Camila. Her mother came to Silas's side bring him in for a hug before backing away. Her hand came to his shoulder with a squeeze.

"Thank you, Silas..."

"It's nothing, I-."

"I know," She spoke digging her hands into her pocket, "It's also not nothing."

Retrieving her hand with a hidden object, she placed it in his pocket and walked away to greet her daughter. Selena's father, who stood silently next to her mother, squeezed Silas shoulder as well before whispering, "I approve."

He walked to join his wife and that's when it clicked to Silas. Putting his hand in his pocket he felt the small smooth object, he felt the ring. His eyes dart to the solid band on Selena's mother's finger, the diamond ring missing. She was giving him her blessing. The thought had a smile growing on his face.

When he had first met her family, he was nervous to say the least. Although having to stick with a different story of how they met, once hearing their age difference, the parents were skeptical. Sure, they had liked Silas but wasn't sure if it would work out in the end. Yet seeing how he was with their daughter.

How much lighter she seemed and bringing out her inner child and happiness, it almost brought them to tears. He was accepted, not fully, but they liked him none the less.

It was great that most of the family was accepting. His eyes dart to his father and sisters now giving Selena birthday wishes and the one person missing. His mother.

The relationship Silas had with his mother had been on a very thin line since the divorce. There was a strain due to her actions with his father, the way she treated Silas compared to his sisters, and so much more. The day he had spoken with her on the phone and she had seen a glimpse of Selena she begged to meet her.

Silas thought why not. It wouldn't hurt especially since the rest of the family would be meeting her as well. This was also the first time Selena had hosted a dinner in the new home she bought with Silas. It was all she could every dream of. The large windows that poured sunlight, the closer distance to their places of work, and the quietness of the area.

Silas had cooked his family's favorite meals and was excited to see his sisters, nieces and nephews, his brother-in-law, and parents. Jasmine, the youngest, had arrived first with a housewarming gift. Next Nazanin with her husband and children bringing in Silas favorite childhood desert. And lastly his father. If Selena wanted to know what Silas would look like when he was older, she just had to envision his father, they were twins.

It was two hours of getting to know one another with tears of laughter and joy when a knock sounded on the door and the joy of the night was suck out if the air. His mother, arriving fashionably late, came in with a smile of her lips. She greeted her son happy to have seen him after a long time and animosity he had towards her that she didn't understand.